Early French List

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bogrot

Early French List

Post by bogrot » Tue May 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Quick question concerning the Wars of the French Revolution list. There are three listing for French Cav; Hussars, Dragoons and "Cavalry". The Dragoons don't list musket under Weapon and the "Cavalry" are shown as Impact Cavalry and have a Musket under weapon. So what are the "Cavalry" ?Are the Dragoons suppose to have muskets? BTW, the listings for the Dragoon and "Cavalry" both show a point value of 7 points. Thanks.

bogrot

Re: Early French List

Post by bogrot » Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Since no one has offered an answer or suggestion, I'm going to assume that the Dragoons can be equipped with Muskets and be impact cavalry. Does that seem okay?

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Sat May 19, 2018 5:13 am

That assumption might be unwise.

Dragoons and Irregular Cavalry (unit types) may dismount, others may not (under the rules).

It might be best to assume that the dragoons should be musket-armed and the Impact Cavalry sabre-armed so that the muskets see best use.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat May 19, 2018 8:33 am

Sorry missed this first time around. The weapon entries for the units appear to have been transposed.
The Dragoons should have muskets and are not Impact Cavalry.
The Cavalry entry is for the heavier regiments of Horse who fought like the Cuirassiers in later lists as Impact Cavalry and should have sabres.

Having said that prior to 1794 the Republican cavalry as a whole was in pretty poor shape often lacking weapons and having their musketoons and fusils withdrawn even from the Dragoons. They improved significantly after that time as the need for a strong cavalry arm became clear and the previous suspicions of an arm of service associated with the aristocracy declined.

John

John

bogrot

Post by bogrot » Sun May 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks. I totally agree and will make the necessary changes in my rosters.