ATSE Casualties query

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

GavinP

ATSE Casualties query

Post by GavinP » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm

So I play a game which results in my British platoon taking 7 casualties lets say from 1 section. I have 3 permanent losses, 2 miss next game and 2 returned for duty as a result.

Am I obliged to take these 5 (3+2) losses on the section which was shot up, or am I at liberty to spread them about my other sections?

If I am able to allocate them about as I wish, could I take 2 kills on my PIAT team and if I did would I retain the PIAT to reconstitute the team at a later date on a reorganisation or receipt of replacements??

Morgan

Re: ATSE Casualties query

Post by Morgan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:46 pm

As I understand it (and have played it), you can re-organise the platoon however you wish between games. If you want to tell the two guys with the PIAT to leave it in storage for one encounter and then give it to two other guys in the encounter after that, you're allowed to do that.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Gavin,
Your Platoon Leader can reorganise the platoon as he sees fit, drafting men in from other sections or the Platoon HQ if required to cover the losses. There is no obligation to take them all from the section that was hit.
If you take them from the PIAT team then I'd assume that the PIAT itself had been left with the rest of the platoon's gear and could be reallocated later.

John

GavinP

Post by GavinP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks both. That clears that up. I know I will get asked then if the 2 guys from the PIAT team can preemptively allocated to a bren or rifle team increasing their numbers beyond doctrine. I'm going to assume that the answer there is NO and may be accompanied with a sharp stick but just want to make sure.

Travh20

Post by Travh20 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes you can do that. After the first battle you can reorganize your core platoon however you want.
Chain of Command video battle reports and more at https://www.youtube.com/user/travh20

sackatatties

Post by sackatatties » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:06 pm

IMHO you can shift the remaining platoon members around as you like but not to make platoon elements bigger than they were to start with. So I wouldn't disband a British 10 man section within the platoon to make 2 sections of 15 instead - for example.

Gaff-Oz

Post by Gaff-Oz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm

The rules seem quite clear that you can organise your force to suit your tactical requirements. As far as I can see if you wanted to put 20 rifle men in a squad to charge the barricades while the lmg gunners provided cover there's nothing to stop you. The question I have is whether casualties from support teams count towards your men's opinion?
Gaff.

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:59 am

They do.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 am

Rich has said previously, most recently in the CoC Facebook group, that casualties from support teams do not count when determining the Men's Opinion as they are not part of the core platoon. However, a number of us take the view that casualties amongst any supporting infantry section should on the grounds that they will be from the same company and known to the men who would be concerned if their PL should a cavalier attitude to those supports. It also reduces the temptation to treat them as cannon fodder in game.

John

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 am

Yeah, the rent-a-squad becomes a little bit too disposable if you don't count them for the men's opinion.