Ideas for campaign and house rules

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Ratatosk

Ideas for campaign and house rules

Post by Ratatosk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:45 pm

First, I must admit to not having played yet. Only reading the rules.

I expect to play mostly with the same three or four players. And we have a limited set of tanks available, at least yet. Therefore I think it's important that I ensure that we play with campaign rules that are flexible, as well as adding as much flavour as possible.

First I plan to create Crew Sheets. To log the crew with name, fraction, player, level, tank and battle statistics. For each tank this will be the model, start year, Kill Rings, Ace Status and total number of kills, destructions, disablings and rammings. On the backside I will make room for the Battle Log. For each battle this will be the year, theatre and the result. All participating tanks and crews, and their destiny. And of course, room for comments. All this to keep track of the different crews over time.

Furthermore I've thought about a couple of clarifications, additions and adjustments to the Career Progression rules.
  1. After a battle when a crew has reached five or more Kill Rings, they automatically exchange five for Ace status for that tank, and a level-up.
  2. At the start of a game, the crew may select any tank limited by their level, and the year.
  3. Kill Rings and Ace Status are per tank model, as recorded on the Crew Sheet.
  4. When a crew dies, the player gets a new crew at the same level, but without any Kill Rings or Ace Statuses.
  5. No crew can participate in an earlier (year) battle than the last in their battle log.
  6. Survival Bonus: Crew in the same actual tank as the last battle, that is no bail outs; escapes; upgrades or replacements, get a bonus card.
As mentioned, these are only my early ideas. I haven't tested them, or sure if I will use all, or any for that matter. But I wanted to get them out here, to see if anyone else like any of it, or have any suggestions.

Trailape

Re: Ideas for campaign and house rules

Post by Trailape » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I like where you’re going.
I’ve already thought about one possible rule which I’ve invited comment on:
“Has anyone thought about having a simultaneous ‘drive’ phase?
It seems to me the most dangerous part of the ‘game’ is the actual use of ‘Drive’ dice.
I’m toying with the idea where everyone declares if they will be using drive dice in the current turn.
Once declarations are made everyone uses their drive dice according to who has initiative.
Those NOT driving must either discard their ‘1’s or convert them if they have a card that permits such an action.
From that point on the turn plays out as per normal according to who has initiative.
I’m not sure it will improve, or detract from the game.
It’s just a thought.
Opinions”?
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

MikeH

Post by MikeH » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Trailape wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm
I like where you’re going.
I’ve already thought about one possible rule which I’ve invited comment on:
“Has anyone thought about having a simultaneous ‘drive’ phase?
It seems to me the most dangerous part of the ‘game’ is the actual use of ‘Drive’ dice.
I’m toying with the idea where everyone declares if they will be using drive dice in the current turn.
Once declarations are made everyone uses their drive dice according to who has initiative.
Those NOT driving must either discard their ‘1’s or convert them if they have a card that permits such an action.
From that point on the turn plays out as per normal according to who has initiative.
I’m not sure it will improve, or detract from the game.
It’s just a thought.
Opinions”?
I'm not sure about this, as what happens if you want to move after firing? (or any other action)
you are almost putting in a movement phase and I think that will destroy some of the feel of the game

the thing I most like about WaT is the open turn sequence where players have to decide the best way to use their dice
catch me on twitter Wargamer_Mike
Or hear my whittering on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and on my Blog http://mikehobbs.co.uk

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm a little disappointed that the rules currently don't do anything to reflect tanks where commander also has to act as gunner. Especially for the early war this would be a major factor and would help counterbalance better armour and guns on allied tanks versus the German tanks where the commander was free to concentrate on command. To reflect this I'm considering the following house rules for tanks with 1 or 2 man turrets:

1) On any turn where a tank where the commander functions as gunner and performs an aim or fire action, the player must expend one extra command die of any type in addition to the ones required for the action. This should help reflect the ability of the commander to perform normal command functions while acting as gunner.

2) For the remainder of the turn following the tank performing any aiming or firing actions, the tank is considered buttoned up.

3) For tanks with a 1 man turret, loading actions impose the same restriction as aiming and firing.

If using these rules I would think a 1 or 2 point reduction in cost for vehicles with 1 and 2 man turret crews would be appropriate.

Chris

rim66

Post by rim66 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Chris,

Rich has already indicated elsewhere on the Forum that he is planning a Summer Special article on tanks that don't fit the 'standard' model so things like the M3 Lee/Grant with sponson and turret. I will flag this up to him to see if it's the sort of thing that will also be included.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:54 am

A couple clarifications that occurred to me after I originally posted this:

1) The one extra command die use is per turn regardless of how many aim and fire (and load for 1 man turrets), not per action of that type.
2) If a tank is reduced by permanent/temporary damage to 1 action die, the extra die penalty does not apply until the tank regains more command dice.
batesmotel34 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 pm
I'm a little disappointed that the rules currently don't do anything to reflect tanks where commander also has to act as gunner. Especially for the early war this would be a major factor and would help counterbalance better armour and guns on allied tanks versus the German tanks where the commander was free to concentrate on command. To reflect this I'm considering the following house rules for tanks with 1 or 2 man turrets:

1) On any turn where a tank where the commander functions as gunner and performs an aim or fire action, the player must expend one extra command die of any type in addition to the ones required for the action. This should help reflect the ability of the commander to perform normal command functions while acting as gunner.

2) For the remainder of the turn following the tank performing any aiming or firing actions, the tank is considered buttoned up.

3) For tanks with a 1 man turret, loading actions impose the same restriction as aiming and firing.

If using these rules I would think a 1 or 2 point reduction in cost for vehicles with 1 and 2 man turret crews would be appropriate.

Chris

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Richard,

Any more news about the fate of this article?

As a simpler alternative for my earlier suggestions for 1 or 2 man turrets, merely requiring that the tank be buttoned up to perform any fire/aim/load (for 1 man turrets only) actions. This would mean that either tanks with smaller turret crews will always stay buttoned (which seems reasonably accurate especially for Soviet T-34s and other tanks with 2 man turrets) or else would be slow to engage a newly acquired target if they are initially unbuttoned.

I suspect a 1 point reduction in cost would be about right for this level of restriction for both 1 and 2 man turrets.

Chris

rim66 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm
Hi Chris,

Rich has already indicated elsewhere on the Forum that he is planning a Summer Special article on tanks that don't fit the 'standard' model so things like the M3 Lee/Grant with sponson and turret. I will flag this up to him to see if it's the sort of thing that will also be included.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 am

I've been running my clubs campaign/league thingy. We're 7 games in, the idea is to start in France 1940 (sadly Poland gets forgotten again!) and go through the whole war for as long as people are still keen.

(Click for our first few games)

What I've found useful is creating a rough timeline so you've got a sort of setting and scenario for each game. This is what I've been using for the desert phase:

Desert war timeline

We've introduced on-table objectives to some of the games to keep things interesting. For example our game tonight was King of the Hill, anybody on the hill in the centre of the table scored double kill rings. Sometimes we'll have an attacking and a defending force: the attackers score double kills if they're close to one of the objectives, while the defenders can deploy anywhere on the table.

When people are KOd we tend to recycle them back on at the start of the next turn. This keeps everybody involved, and we just play until the end of the night. We also tend to give everybody one card more than their kill rings, so that even people on zero kills get a card to play, which can be entertaining if you get the right one at the right time.

Otherwise we're using pretty standard rules. After each game I send out the updated tally of each player's kill rings for that model of tank. If folks want to switch to a different tank they'll have to start with a fresh crew. Sometimes people have been forced to start from scratch, such as the German players in France fighting the BEF, when we moved out to North Africa they had to start as fresh Italians and are only just going to get the option next game (Op Sonnenblume) to bring their experienced German crews back into action.