Blitzkrieg in the West #3: The Low Countries now available

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Vis Bellica

Blitzkrieg in the West #3: The Low Countries now available

Post by Vis Bellica » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 am

Hi All

I'm very pleased to announce that the third in the series of early war handbooks for I Ain't Been Shot, Mum, Blitzkrieg in the West: the Low Countries, is now available from the TFL website.

The handbook is 88 pages long (bigger than either the French or BEF books) and contains two separate sections: one on the Belgian army of 1940, and one on the Dutch army of 1940.

The Belgian section contains sixteen separate lists covering everything from the Active divisions through to the Cavalry and then on to the Chasseurs Ardennais and Border Guards. There's also a section on the forts and bunkers positioned along the Belgian border.

The Dutch section contains seventeen separate lists covering everything from the First Line divisions through to the Light and Peel divisions through to the three independent brigades, the cavalry and the various territorial commands. There's also a short section on the defence of the main airfields and another on the defence of Rotterdam.

Both the Belgian and Dutch sections contain a lot of background information, so the handbook should be very useful for players of other game systems as well.

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/bli ... countries/

Derek H

Re: Blitzkrieg in the West #3: The Low Countries now available

Post by Derek H » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:39 am

Featuring what is possibly the least modern army of WWII. Having read the section on the Netherlands I'm amazed they managed to hang on for as long as they did (4 days).

"Weak in armour, the Dutch had no tanks whatsoever, possessing artillery that for the most part dated back to the nineteenth century, and lacking even the most rudimentary radio communications..."
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Another triumph there! My knowledge of either Army was virtually nil, so this one was particularly appreciated. I take it you will be doing the Germans next?

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Arlequín wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:22 pm
Another triumph there! My knowledge of either Army was virtually nil, so this one was particularly appreciated. I take it you will be doing the Germans next?
He is indeed, and from what he's told me it sounds like it's going to be the biggest yet.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 pm

I sort of imagined that given the range of unit types. I expect it was the most difficult to research too, given the mass of info on the Germans and numerous 'self-styled' experts of all ilks, ready to dispute anything and everything.

No pressure. ;)

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Yup: I'm busy with the Germans as we speak.

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:56 am

Excellent stuff,
Are you going to be covering Denmark & Norway in this series?

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 am

Not sure yet.

I think Norway deserves a scenario pack rather than a theatre handbook...so if I did do it, then it would be in that format rather than as part of this series.

As for Denmark: well the fighting only lasted an hour or so, so might be something I look at for one of the Specials. I know Rich has done some work on the Danish army for the CoC Blitzkrieg handbook (out soon) so there will probably be enough info in that to get the Danish started.

I was thinking that next up might be theatre handbooks for Barbarossa...

Zippee

Post by Zippee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 am

It just seems that it's the last throw of the western offensive, so would fit into the series thematically.

Yeah Denmark is pretty marginal but if we're doing the handbook thing for 1940 in the west it would be rude to leave them out (Italians would get covered separately I admit). I was thinking of a 'BitW - Scandinavia' that could include some page count for Denmark and then the bulk on Norway with an appendix with British/French involvement based off amending the relevant Handbook Info.

Norway surely deserves the full campaign treatment - 'Narvik or Bust' I presume, so get cracking on that please :) but I think it would be nice to have a handbook to back that up - although something similar in vain to The September War would work.

Barbarossa is the next big German drive for sure, so 'Blitzkrieg in the East' makes sense. Chronologically though it should be 'A Very Italian Offensive' - for Albania, Eritrea, Libya and France. A side step into Greece and Finland and then Barbarossa :) My only concern with going straight to Barbarossa is that it is the start of a continuum that doesn't really break until 1945, so the temptation to fill the gap through to Vpered would be overwhelming which would push other interesting theatres back by years.

Just food for thought though - you're the one that took the bull by the horns and started the project, so it's only fair you get to choose [imagine the sound of gritted teeth here :) ]

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:40 am

Vis Bellica wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:13 am
I was thinking that next up might be theatre handbooks for Barbarossa...
That surprised me, I'd sort of imagined the Middle East would be next.