KMH2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Rich H

Re: KMH2

Post by Rich H » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 am

We played for the first time yesterday.

To be honest we struggled a lot with all the various aspects of damage effects and some of the rules are inconsistent.

Our suggestion for strike tests was have a phase at the end of the turn for fire tests and strike tests.

We ran the England expects scenario and abandoned it after 3 hours with no ships struck.

We aren't that keen to try again to be honest as it we found it hard work but will be interested if there is a v2.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:21 pm

That's a pity you didn't have a more positive experience. The rules work well with practice, but do need a bit of interpretation and clarification in places. Having an experienced umpire for your first game helps.

Taking any strike or fire tests at the end of the turn rather than when the relevant card is drawn would be a bit more orderly. As it stands a ship can be lucky and avoid a strike test when it's most inconvenient on occasions.

John

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Perhaps it was a lack of experience but the rules just felt disjointed in places and very hard to follow at times.
Some of the things like wind change felt clumsy, mast loss similar, roll then roll then roll.

I'd like to see it streamlined. If it was slicked up in places I'm sure we'd give it another go.

BrianW

Post by BrianW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 am

Rich H,
In fairness to the rules, they are some of the oldest TFL rules still in print, I think. They probably are a little disjointed; Rich and Nick have learned a LOT about writing rules since these came out. There are (or used to be) some playsheets and stuff, either here or in the yahoo forum, that are a help regarding what you've mentioned.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
-- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991

rim66

Post by rim66 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 am

I believe there is some work being done on a V2 already - I will make sure the guys see this.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 pm

I have only played once, at Historicon. The strike card was odd, but interesting. We had a ship, be raked, then move rake another ship. We thought it was in a swell position for the following turns. But the strike card came up and it was the first ship to strike, even though it was in pretty good shape.

Conversely, we had a ship smashed by multiple SoL including being raked, but the strike card always came up before it was raked, so it puttered along unhindered till it went below 50%.

The GM allowed hold fire cards, this I really liked, as you had to guess was the current position better than the future position. Once you opted to fire the squadron was done, so if a ship had no target, and fire was played it lost its shot for the turn. A fun mechanic

We had some confusion on when to take fire tests, the rules text says on movement, but then why the fire card? We ended up using the fire card to make the tests

I agree the strike table needs to be simplified (you could put a marker down to indicate that a check needs to be taken.) But then if a ship takes 15 points from multiple ships firing at it you have to track the total score over the turn till the strike card comes up. Of course after it’s moot...

Mast loss has to be addressed, ships move way too well sans a mast. Maybe partial loss and full loss...
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am

We haven't given up afterall... we have however made some significant changes to give it a copper bottom to speed it up ;)
We plan on trying it again on Thursday with our mods.

Rich

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Rich H wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:24 am
We haven't given up afterall... we have however made some significant changes to give it a copper bottom to speed it up ;)
We plan on trying it again on Thursday with our mods.

Rich
Be interesting to hear how it plays and what your modifications are after your game Rich.

John

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Will let you know!

stecal

Post by stecal » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:53 am

just some thoughts on rules changes

Fires - they don't seem to happen very often, but historically were a real danger especially at point blank range due to burning wads from the guns. I would add to the special damage Hull chart at 3, 4 & 5 a 50% chance of Fire if at point blank. There should also be some danger of a fire spreading to a ship grappled to you.
Stephen