Fire discipline

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Foulksy

Fire discipline

Post by Foulksy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi, a buddy of mine has been having trouble signing up for the forum and he’s got the following question...

“A normal sized infantry unit attempts to regain its fire discipline. I know it needs to remain stationary. But can it continue to shoot whilst doing so and if so which fire table does it use and what deductions from the dice throw.”

he’s not convinced by my opinion and he’s desperate for the answer... hasn’t slept for three days etc. :D

Foulksy

Re: Fire discipline

Post by Foulksy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:01 am

So here’s what I think happens based on the various phases.

If a unit has lost fire discipline and is charged it uses the Deadbeat table for defensive fire because charge happens before movement.

Assuming no charge then the unit regains FD in the movement phase and although it cannot actually move, the act of regaining FD counts as movement so that in the shooting phase the unit is once more able to use the regular fire table but will have a -2 modifier for having ‘moved’.

I think one if the things that is throwing my buddy off is how easy it is for a unit to regain FD when In reality it could be sometimes be quite tricky.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Haven't played Pickett's Charge but there is a similar rule in General D'Armee which works in the way you describe, though the terminology is different. It can be quite disruptive, especially if you try to exchange fire when closing with the enemy since it can bring your advance to a halt prematurely, but it isn't the end of the world normally.

Would your friend prefer that they couldn't fire at all in that state which would seem excessive to me?

John

Foulksy

Post by Foulksy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:13 am

I think he’s planning on saying if the fail FD in the same turn the just recovered it they lose a casualty... I’m not wild about that but could see having to test to recover.

rim66

Post by rim66 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm

If you PM me your chum's details, I will speak to the Big Man himself, although it will be some days as he is away at the moment, which might be the root cause of the problem as Rich went a couple of days ago and so won't be approving anyone.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 am

F,

“A normal sized infantry unit attempts to regain its fire discipline. I know it needs to remain stationary. But can it continue to shoot whilst doing so and if so which fire table does it use and what deductions from the dice throw.”

The answer is Yes.

The unit only needs to remain stationary for the movement phase, (not the full turn); therefore it may fire as normal in the fire phase immediately after it has recovered FD.

Lose of FD is not designed to be as impactive as under the Napoleonic system, and simply acts as a hindrance to potential movement or formation changes, etc.

DB