All American - La Fiere Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Axebreaker

Re: All American - La Fiere Campaign

Post by Axebreaker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:48 pm

I'll second John in looking to try this out.

Christopher

naash

Post by naash » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:50 pm

john de terre neuve wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:55 am
Myself and a freind are considering playing this campaign. Is the revised version available yet? I note the initial link does not work anymore.
Me too... ;)

Will3T

Post by Will3T » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:38 pm

I plan on releasing the revised campaign before the end of July. When it is up on Wargames Vault I'll put the link here. Thanks to everyone for their interest!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:23 pm

Well we finally got to play this campaign over the last few months.
We have played 5 missions and next week hope to do the last - its down to the wire.

I will try and do a proper AAR for the last one but I find it hard enough just playing in time let alone recording the details - always start with a few piccies then forget to take any more as it gets to the pointy end!

The first two missions the Germans took a pasting but managed to out manoeuvre the 2 sections of paras for sneaky wins just before their moral collapsed completely (ie FM 3).

The third mission was different - it was as was historically a bottleneck for the Germans attacking Arnhem style down a fairly exposed road and over a bridge with the paras dug in the houses on the other side. In addition although the German support level is 14 8-9 of this is tied up in crappy tanks that are perfect targets for US zooks :D - again historically correct - 100th Panzer replacement & training Bgde.

The first time we tried the crawl forward behind the tanks and fire the MG's - worked OK until we go to the end of the bridge and 2 zooks ambushed the tanks and the paras gunned down the infantry behind them from the flanks.

Second time we tried using a double turn to run 2 sections of infantry ahead of the tanks and assault a US section - that almost worked we broke a US para section but the zooks again finished off the supporting tanks and the second US section mopped up what was left of the Germans that had survived the bloody assault.

Third time lucky we tried a similar tactic but a bit slower - used off table mortars to disrupt the US Paras and kept the tanks well back firing HE in support. The mortars only fired for 4 phases and only killed 1 or 2 paras but they gave the German infantry time to get over the bridge and in position to attack. Meanwhile another German section infiltrated the village from the flank through the flooded polder and caught the last para section in a two pronged attack. If it had not been for some lucky shooting - one R-35 killing 3 paras and Handgranarten killing 4 more (my best result with this rule in 5 years!) it would have been another loss to the Germans (just like in Rl!)

Overall not a bad little campaign. We played V1 with the paras as Vets with a red 6th dice. I think if they were played as Regs it might be an easy win for the Germans YMMV.

Having to have the Panzers as support was frustrating for the Germans but realistic and challenging.

The only thing is with not having a fixed number of German platoons and fixed levels of support you can afford to burn them to an extent. Maybe give them 3 platoons Vs the US 2?

Thanks again to Will3T for all his hard work and effort putting this together.
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

naash

Post by naash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Nice !
Thanks for the feedback.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:04 am

Yes games were great to play but sneaky German AKA TT

naash

Post by naash » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:12 pm

Any ETA regarding the campaign ?

I have teammates who'd love to play it...

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:15 pm

ETA?
I beleive it is available on wargames vault.

naash

Post by naash » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:37 am

Estimated Time of Arrival

I did not find the campaign on wargames vault.
Will3D said that he was revisiting his campaign.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:39 am

Arrh I was not aware it is not listed.
We were playing Ver 1.
Will send you PM