Domain of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

GunnarL

Re: Kingdom of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Post by GunnarL » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 pm

I've gotten the first draft with some playtesters and sent off to Rich for review, so hopefully it should be coming along pretty quickly.

Currently it contains forces and campaign additions for the Domain of Soissons, the Franks, and the Visigoths. I'm writing up some more rules for additional factions now, but they may not be included in the final product, depending on further review. The final product may end up having all of the above factions with the addition of Armoricans, Burgundians, Alemanni, and Saxons, so it may be a hefty beast!

Again, if anyone else is interested in seeing the supplement in it's current form for playtesting or critique, send me an email at gunnar.lopez.08 at gmail.

Gunnar

Groupe_Franc

Re: Domain of Soissons and Merovingian Franks

Post by Groupe_Franc » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 am

I would offer the suggestion of including the Alans (at least on a limited basis). They're not Huns while being decent horse archers.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Were the Alans active in the region at the time? I don't remember seeing anything, but I could have missed it. They could be included as mercenaries either way though.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 am

The following is from Wikipedia. It corresponds to my recollection that the Alans were allied with Aetius at the Battle of Chalons and implies that it was more likely that there would be Alan mercs than Hun. Anyway, my 2 tuppence.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 am

Whoops. Forgot the quote: "Under Goar, they allied with the Burgundians led by Gundaharius, with whom they installed the usurping Emperor Jovinus. Under Goar's successor Sangiban, the Alans of Orléans played a critical role in repelling the invasion of Attila the Hun at the Battle of Châlons. In 463 the Alans defeated the Goths at the battle of Orléans, and they later defeated the Franks led by Childeric in 466."

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Well that settles it enough for me. I'll have to change my plans for Hunnic mercenaries and swap in the Alans instead. It should be pretty easy, haha. Just a name swap really. I'm planning on doing a new mercenary list, similar to how the Raiders did it.

Also, I've been posting a lot of information and pictures on my blog.

https://wartoendallblogs.blogspot.com/

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm

So, it's been a while, but moving halfway across the country may have had something to do with it.

Clodwig the Red returned to the Domain of Syagrius to loot and pillage the lands of the Romans at Historicon. After getting an early jump, the Franks were able to hold off the Romans with their warriors and elites, while the levies looted. The Franks were only able to find one piece of loot, but due to the limits of the terrain, that was all that was needed. Despite the best efforts of the Gallo-Romans, the Franks were able to gain a +7 victory!

I plan on building more stuff to add to my terrain collection before I run the game at Fall In in November. Right now, the plan is a vineyard, forest ground texture, a few more buildings and trees, and maybe some swamps.

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 pm

So, it's been a while and it appears that many of my pictures have disappeared. Damn facebook and it's transient nature. I'll get around to updating the links in the next few days.

In other news, since the last post, I went to Historicon and ran a Dux Britanniarum game using my Last of the Romans campaign supplement. Most of the end of June and beginning of July was spent frantically building and painting terrain for the game, so I just didn't have the motivation to post updates while I did so. Below, you will find some of my pictures from the game, which I was too wrapped up in running the game to write a good battle report, which I regret.

I also spent the three months after that game massively adding to my terrain collection. I was unable to run my planned game at Fall In, due to a car accident on my way to set the game up, which totaled my car and severely damaged my minis. However, I do have some terribly lit photos of a test run of the game with some of my unfinished terrain, which you will find below.

I plan on running the same game at Cold Wars, but during the next few months I'll need to repair all of my minis. Not a single one came away unscathed, but most of them should be salvageable. After that game I hope to have an actual battle report for you guys and not just pictures.

mellis1644

Post by mellis1644 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 pm

Looks really cool

GunnarL

Post by GunnarL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 am

Thank you. I'm pretty happy with how things are shaping up.