Here's A Strange Question for LFS

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

John Thomas8

Here's A Strange Question for LFS

Post by John Thomas8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:04 am

Anyone ever try to game a battle in the Caribbean? I was goofing around on eBay and bought some painted figures, they looked like good fodder for LFS games. Turns out they're marked as "5th West Indies" and "2nd Embodied", which Google leads me to believe are British militia units in the Caribbean during the period covered by LFS.

So I guess I'm looking for French units that would have been in the area between 1796-1815, trying to kinda keep the thing historical maybe.....or maybe I'll just line 'em up and play 'em in Europe and kinda ignore the whole historical accuracy thingy..... :-)

Thanks in advance.

Dragoon

Re: Here's A Strange Question for LFS

Post by Dragoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 am

Weren't there someDutch West Indies troops at Waterloo ?

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:51 am

In a book Regiments at Waterloo by almark I think.
The uniforms and details were given

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

John Thomas8 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:04 am
Turns out they're marked as "5th West Indies" and "2nd Embodied", which Google leads me to believe are British militia units in the Caribbean during the period covered by LFS.
The "2nd Embodied Regiment" certainly sounds like local militia; however, the "5th West Indies Regiment" (Howe's - formed 1795, disbanded 1817) was a regular corps, and was unique among non-white units formed elsewhere in the British Empire in being part of the British Army proper. By 1798 there were 12 regiments (each of 1 battalion), composed of both free blacks and slaves purchased from plantations specifically for military service; in 1807, all such slaves were freed under that year's Mutiny Act.

You can get some ideas about French and Dutch troops from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indi ... E2%80%9310
Dragoon wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 am
Weren't there someDutch West Indies troops at Waterloo ?
Both East and West Indies. Good article on them here: http://www.napoleon-series.org/military ... h1815.html

They saw no action, being part of the reserve based at Hal(le) which Wellington may have simply forgotten about during the 4-day campaign. However, they did some token fighting during the occupation of France and were withdrawn from Wellington's army in August and sailed for their colonial destinations in October and November 1815.