Very Civil Actions (ECW rules)

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jondxs

Very Civil Actions (ECW rules)

Post by jondxs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:49 am

I have a question about the VCA rules based on Spanish Fury by The Perfect Captain.

In the absence of In The Buff, I've been looking around for other sets of rules, and found this set on the web. I've had a quick look through and they seem set around the level of SP, ie Groups of men commanded by a captain of varying ability.

It has an IGOUGO type activation sequence, but seems to me that this could be easily modified to run off a card-based activation, either by unit or by "GTN" style cards linked to the level of the captains. Evidently, I'll need to think up a suitable name for these cards , and for the Tiffin replacement

Has anyone played with these rules? If so, what's your experience of them - I'm looking for something that gives a feel of the period and not a feeling that the figures are just counters on a board

Thanks
Jon

agent_pumpkin

Re: Very Civil Actions (ECW rules)

Post by agent_pumpkin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:14 am

Not played them, but as they are free I'm happy to give them a go! :)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

jondxs

Post by jondxs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:27 am

Excellent - when can you get over to Paris? ;-)

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:14 am

Dunno, I'll need a lift.

Preferably in a TARDIS. ;)
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:48 pm

By coincidence, I was thinking along similar lines - either to adapt Sharp Practice for ECW or Border Reiver skirmishes using 40-120 figures per side, and allow a figure:man scale of up to 1:5, which would cover quite a lot of the smaller actions of the Civil War, or to go a bit further and come up with my own version of ITB for larger battles on a 1:10 scale, adapting both SP and VCA mechanisms.

Getting some 15mm units painted up but, as usual, too many other distractions right now, but please keep us posted on any progress you make, as it'll encourage me to get involved later in the year!

jondxs

Post by jondxs » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:24 pm

The first part of this is finish off a couple of units of infantry I found in the attic (amazing what you forget you've put up there!) - I'll initally base them for VCA and try a small game to see if it's feasible.

Mind you, as can be seen by last year's painting contest, I'm notoriously slow at getting stuff finished so it could be a bit of a wait. I'll try and keep this thread updated

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Never played VCA but know some guys in the Edinburgh Club who have used them and enjoyed them.

You might also want to take a look at "Victory without Quarter" from Clarence Harrison of Quindia Studios and Donnybrook fame. They use a card based initiative system, turn end and event cards and are great fun. Probably best described as a beta version since Clarence has never finished them but they are free to download.
John

jondxs

Post by jondxs » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks, will do

RJB

Post by RJB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:23 pm

Thread resurrection :D
In Burton on Trent (BAD Wargamers) we have used Border Reivers and found they worked well for ECW and a couple of us are currently considering getting some figures of Border Reivers to play with (aaah - another project :o )

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Which rules did you use? Border Reivers and big battle ECW remain the planned project for 2016, though I keep getting distracted. Some very pretty figures being assembled for both, though I cannot take credit for any of the artwork - that's down to Jeff in South Wales and Kev (aka Fat Wally) in Hampshire!

Reivers are mainly 28mm Graven Image (now available from Hokahey Wargames) but remounted on Warlord ECW plastic horses/ponies, while the ECW regiment is 15mm Peter Pig...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg