A few Ambuscade and Fisticuffs questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Counterpane

A few Ambuscade and Fisticuffs questions

Post by Counterpane » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am

I've just finished a brief solo game with my new War of the Spanish Succession in the Indian Ocean forces.

https://thelandofcounterpane.blogspot.c ... mbush.html

The rules questions that came up were as follows:

What happens if you're deploying a Formation onto the table using an Ambuscade but you're in terrain that prevents you moving in formation? I decided that both Groups in the Formation would enter the table but only the leading Group would get the three dice-worth of movement?

Speaking of which, do you still get three dice worth of movement if launching an Ambuscade from terrain that limits you to two dice-worth of movement? I decided that yes, you do.

If a line Formation is hit in flank by a charging enemy, two Groups turn to face, one behind the other. Does this represent a break of formation that requires a roll on the Bad-Things-Happen table? I decided that yes, it did.

When a Group takes additional Shock after falling back from Fisticuffs, does in immediately fall back further (or even rout) if excess Shock would indicate this? I guess it probably does but I didn't bother on this occasion as the result was already clear.

Richard C (not that one)

Capt Fortier

Re: A few Ambuscade and Fisticuffs questions

Post by Capt Fortier » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:19 am

Thanks for sharing - I suspect this will be one of many solo accounts we'll all be seeing and posting in the coming months - and a fascinating setting - will be interesting to see how it develops and evolves.

Also some interesting and challenging questions.
Counterpane wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 am
What happens if you're deploying a Formation onto the table using an Ambuscade but you're in terrain that prevents you moving in formation? I decided that both Groups in the Formation would enter the table but only the leading Group would get the three dice-worth of movement?
The rule states "An Ambuscade allows a unit and its Leader to deploy as usual, and move with 3D6 to attempt to make contact...", I think it therefore depends on the nature of the terrain it deploys into. If it is really heavy going, then I'd query if you could deploy in formation (given formations cannot be formed in this terrain). If it is heavy going, the unit could deploy in formation but any movement would break the formation, meaning in any ambuscade commencing in this type of terrain, each group could move 3D6 and possibly make separate contact, but not contact as a formation - and that could have some tricky repercussions in any subsequent fisticuffs. You might also have to take a "Bad Things Happen" test (although it is unclear if that is required, given the table only refers to "Formation broken by fire or Fisticuffs").

For your developing campaign you might also want to revisit whether your "Woebetidean Tribes" can actually operate in formation - many similar native forces are often identified as "No/Never" for formations (see the FIW Indian Allies).
Speaking of which, do you still get three dice worth of movement if launching an Ambuscade from terrain that limits you to two dice-worth of movement? I decided that yes, you do.
Agree - I think you'd always get 3D6 if you are moving/attempting to make contact in an ambuscade.
If a line Formation is hit in flank by a charging enemy, two Groups turn to face, one behind the other. Does this represent a break of formation that requires a roll on the Bad-Things-Happen table? I decided that yes, it did.
Agree - I think this is definitely a break in formation caused by fisticuffs.
When a Group takes additional Shock after falling back from Fisticuffs, does in immediately fall back further (or even rout) if excess Shock would indicate this? I guess it probably does but I didn't bother on this occasion as the result was already clear.
I believe it does (this is indirectly covered in one of the FAQs).
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 am

Thanks Mon Cap. I plan to produce a pdf document of the troop type to be found in the Woebetides as well as background tables for the various Leaders, force lists etc. Happy to share when it's done.

Greatly appreciate your views on the rules questions - it's always good to get a second opinion.

Richard

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Note that while some Mass Troops can form Formations if they are allowed to by their characteristic/stat line, they are restricted to close columns (page 10, Mass Troops)
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.