Operation Jubilee

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Rich H

Operation Jubilee

Post by Rich H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 pm

This has been a long time in the planning... I've been looking on and off at Op Jubilee / Dieppe raid for some time (probably 10 years on and off) and I've finally made a start.

Problem was tanks, obviously you can;'t do Dieppe without Churchills and they are a mix of varaints. MkI, II and III plus 3 Oke flamethrowers and the Beach Track Layer Device plus wading kit. Until now my choice was Warlord MkIII or Mad Bob MkI/II, both nice kits but an expensive option if I need to buy a mix plus they won't quite match

Easy option would be buy Mad Bob's and add the Oke flamethrower then build a MkIII turret... but that's not my style... So I drew them in 3D CAD and printed them... obviously :lol:

So far I've got Bolster (Mk1 with 2pdr and 3" howitzer plus wading gear), Bert (MkIII with 6pdr adn wading gear), Bloody (Mk3 with 6pdr) and Beetle (Mk2 with 2pdr and Oke flamethrower)

Also as it was easy and amusing I've drawn the 3" gun carrier.

Pics to follow as my phone is playing up...

The plan for the infantry is Warlord plastic brits as their kit is almost correct except the SMLEs are the wrong mark apprently - but I'm happy to let that slide!

Rich H

Re: Operation Jubilee

Post by Rich H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Excellent work as usual Rich

Looking forward to seeing them in action.

Dieppe is one I have looked at for awhile without being able to decide on a scenario or campaign approach that is balanced and fun.

Be interested to see what you come up with?

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:17 pm

It was the whole concept that got me, the sheer boldness of the plan.

The original plan was much better: land away from Dieppe (Quiberville some miles west) and attack Dieppe from the landward side but the Army decided that was too hard and a frontal assault was needed... Then if they bombarded Dieppe that the rubble would hinder the advance... then the naval bombardment was skipped for the same reason...

Utter disaster was almost inevitable.

Loads of pics here:
http://dieppe.et.sa.region.free.fr/DIEP ... tact_4.htm

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm

Yes after reading about the main invasion cock up ( even the RAF stuffed up) I thought the Commando/Ranger part might be fun but then you don't get the cool toys 😁

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 pm

I've already got the Commandos covered :)

My display board is going to be the beach and steps at Puys minus the casualties. Note the enfilade bunkers above the Germans head. Landed on this beach without tanks too.