1815 Campaign: Quatre Bras Brunswick Troops - Leib Battalion missing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

LeGrognard

1815 Campaign: Quatre Bras Brunswick Troops - Leib Battalion missing

Post by LeGrognard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:35 am

Hello, I recently purchased the 1815 Campaign booklet and I was looking at the Quatre Bras scenario.

I have most of the Brunswick Corps from Perry Miniatures and was excited about building up the Allied force for this scenario.

While looking at the troop lists I noted that the Leib (Life) Battalion is missing from the Brunswick order of battle. I have attached pics from Mark Adkins "Waterloo Campaign" book to illustrate.

I believe that when the Brunswick Light Regiment arrives on turn 2, it should be Qty x 4 Standard strength units vice qty x 3. They should all be graded "Reservists" as per the list. Although they were designated as "Life Battalion", in actual fact the unit had a high proportion of new soldiers, and they did break under French pressure. In fact it was while trying to rally this unit when the Duke of Brunswick was fatally shot.

The addition of another Reserve grade battalion shouldn't really skew the balance should it?

LeGrognard

Re: 1815 Campaign: Quatre Bras Brunswick Troops - Leib Battalion missing

Post by LeGrognard » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 am

Apologies, the for some reason I cannot upload my attachments.

The OOB for the Brusnwick Light Regiment was:

CO - Lt Col Von Buttlar
Adjt Capt von Mosqua
  • Leib Battalion (585 men) - MAJ von Prostler
  • 1st Light Battalion (688) - MAJ von Holstein
  • 2nd Light Battalion (621) - MAJ von Brandenstein
  • 3rd Light Battalion (691) - MAJ Ebeling
Strengths listed in the book were as for Waterloo itself.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:45 am

LeGrognard wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 am
Apologies, the for some reason I cannot upload my attachments.
There appears to be a daily upload limit for the forum, which gets exhausted fairly quickly. Perhaps try reducing the size of the images, and also posting soon after the forum day begins?
I believe also that you can only upload one image per post.

Would be interesting to see those images.

I assume the Gelernte Jaegers, along with the rest of the Avant-Garde, were of better quality than the Leib Regiment?

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:31 pm

As I understand it, almost all of the Peninsula (infantry) veterans went into the two rifle and two musket companies of the Gelernte Jaeger and that unit should be rated accordingly; I've always assumed that a small cadre of officers and NCOs also went into the Leib Battalion, but that the rank-and-file were indeed predominantly recruits. The cavalry were also "new" troops, as the Hussar Regiment which served in eastern Spain and the Mediterranean remained in British service until after Waterloo.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

LeGrognard

Post by LeGrognard » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:09 am

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:31 pm
As I understand it, almost all of the Peninsula (infantry) veterans went into the two rifle and two musket companies of the Gelernte Jaeger and that unit should be rated accordingly; I've always assumed that a small cadre of officers and NCOs also went into the Leib Battalion, but that the rank-and-file were indeed predominantly recruits. The cavalry were also "new" troops, as the Hussar Regiment which served in eastern Spain and the Mediterranean remained in British service until after Waterloo.
According to one of the Osprey books that I have, you are correct with respect to the Leib Battalion. There were a few old timers, but most were new recruits.

I keep trying to upload, but the daily limit is always preventing me. Not sure when it resets.

I have tried shrinking the pics. They are only about 400K in size.