Formation changes and Artillery

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Polish Lancer

Formation changes and Artillery

Post by Polish Lancer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:58 am

So brains trust, this question came up during a recent game, and it turns our we have differing interpretations!

So...
Horse Artillery battery, during its turn, moves and unlimbers, which is its formation change. Now as it is unlimber at the end of the movement phase it may fire with the -2 for unlimbering. Yes or No

Similarly a Foot battery that during its movement phase only unlimbers, which is its formation change, may fire with the -2 for unlimbering? Yes or No
The other option which was brought up was that the foot battery unlimbers and does nothing as that is its move and thus cannot fire on the turn it unlimbers.

Simmerson

Re: Formation changes and Artillery

Post by Simmerson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:12 am

I think any artillery that moves or changes formation on the turn it shoots get a -2

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm

Sorry not sure where the ambiguity is coming from. The description of firing modifiers in the table on page 80 and on the summary sheet seem clear to me.

Horse artillery has moved and unlimbered so incurs a -2 penalty for each and will fire at -4.
Foot battery has unlimbered so will fire with a -2 penalty. There is no rule preventing it firing.

Both circumstances are described under Firer Moved on page 80.

John

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 am

Archdukek wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm
Sorry not sure where the ambiguity is coming from. The description of firing modifiers in the table on page 80 and on the summary sheet seem clear to me.

Horse artillery has moved and unlimbered so incurs a -2 penalty for each and will fire at -4.
Foot battery has unlimbered so will fire with a -2 penalty. There is no rule preventing it firing.

Both circumstances are described under Firer Moved on page 80.

John
Understand John. It was not ambiguous to me, but to my opponent.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:38 am

PL,

Each modifier applies.

So a player can move up with the horse artillery and unlimber and still fire.

However, he will suffer a -4 modifier on doing so, so really only close range column and square targets are worth the risk.

DB