Any changes to the British Malaya Lists?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougM

Any changes to the British Malaya Lists?

Post by DougM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

asked elsewhere, but thought it was worth asking here as well:

So the Lanchester and the Perry 8th Army arrived for me to start to build Malaya forces.

I understand that Rich has been beavering away (when not distracted by Pike and Pilum) on a Far East Book for Chain of Command, so when I start to put together my platoon, is anyone aware if there is likely to be any different organisation from the one already available?

cheers

Doug
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: Any changes to the British Malaya Lists?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm looking at a Sikh platoon for this campaign, with British/Indian/Australian supports (eg 2-pdr from 80 A/T Regt, RA; Indian Carrier from a Divisional Recce unit) and am also eagerly awaiting the Far East book. As I understand it, platoon structures - at least at the very outset - were standard, as per other theatres; however, there may have been some deviation later in the campaign when depleted units were amalgamated (I think this might apply to your Argylls).
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

bangorstu

Post by bangorstu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:20 pm

IIRC there were also Vickers Lt VIs in Malaya, if that helps any?

DougM

Post by DougM » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:36 pm

Thanks for that, yes, in the latter stages of the campaign, the Argylls were amalgamated with Royal Marines, and the combined force was known as the Plymouth Argylls. :D

As far as supports go; it's very likely there were Vickers light tanks present, but I haven't been able to find anything conclusive as yet. The India Pattern tanks are almost identical though so it would be a reasonable substitution. I'm planning on a Universal Carrier, the Lanchester and a Vickers MkVI as possible armour supports. Eyewitness evidence from naval personnel evacuated was that towards the end, they were tipping Univewrsal Carriers and new Ford trucks into the harbour to stop them being captured, so it suggests that as usual, some officious pencil pusher had refused to issue all available equipment to the troops.

For the Japanese it seems to have been mainly Ha Go with a few Chi Ha. No indication of A/C.

I started putting together some head-swaps last night to see how the Woodbine heads looked on the Perry bodies. Examples are here:

http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/2019/1 ... -am-i.html

I'm pretty happy with how they look.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:48 am

I think the Japanese would also have the type 94 and type 97 Tankette available and as you say no armoured cars.

I believe the majority of AC were left in China.

Cheers Neil

DougM

Post by DougM » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks Neil, I had forgotten tankettes, something for the Boys to prove it's usefulness then :) I'm wondering if anyone does cheap 3d prints.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am

Both are on Thingiverse, perhaps see if Paint and Glue Minis in the UK can do them. The files are 1/72 but he can scale them up.