Leaders issuing commands through terrain

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

B. Wren

Leaders issuing commands through terrain

Post by B. Wren » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Hullo, an interesting thing came up in a game last night which we couldn't find rulebook answers for.

German SL is on one side of a longish ruined wall (6" long, above man height tall), and there are two sections just within command range; one on the near side to him, and one on the far side. German player only had a 4; question being, can he use the 4 to make the SL activate the section on the other side of a wall?

In the event we made it depend on a d6 roll of a 4+, which he made - we assume he shouted over the wall and they heard, or got the gist of his commands from the other section as it ran to join them.

It does open an interesting can of worms though - in CoC we know the senior leader is communicating, somehow, with the sections of the platoon, but this could be by bike or foot courier or by voice and it's somewhat abstracted. Is there a convention for this, or other types of terrain getting between a leader and otherwise commandable units?

Munin

Re: Leaders issuing commands through terrain

Post by Munin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm

We generally ignore terrain effects when it comes to a leader issuing commands because we assume the use of shouting, runners, etc. sufficiently addresses the problem.

siggian

Post by siggian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Ditto for me

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm

CoC troop organisation puts the platoon command team below the abstraction layer so a) that it does not have to be micromanaged and b) that the differences can be ignored.
To remind me of it I tend to mount SLs on bases with 3 figures (and incidentally JLs with 2) either on sabot bases, or permanently, so as to a) remind me that the represent small teams and b) allow me to remove or mark with a ring when the leader loses CIs through injury.

These extra figures on the bases don’t shoot, don’t count for clues combat, don’t really do anything. They just look right, and subconsciously remind me there are men there operating radios, acting as runners, brewing the tea, who don’t need to be dealt with in game, but doing all the things that are carried out by command below the abstraction layer.

So yes, the same as above. One of them may be bending over behind the wall giving the platoon sergeant a leg up, or more likely risking his own head to relay the Lieutenant’s orders.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:51 am

You simply have to be within command range for a Leader to use his Command Initiatives. As has been said, the command system abstracts the role of the platoon runner in carrying messages from the SL.

You could, however, consider using the Advanced Rule on page 70 which would require a Leader to be within Line of Sight as well as within command range if you felt this was too generous.

John

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:51 am
You could, however, consider using the Advanced Rule on page 70 which would require a Leader to be within Line of Sight as well as within command range if you felt this was too generous.
^This

See, Rich saw your question coming years ago!

Necrosauron

Post by Necrosauron » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:17 am

After a few games where we had the leaders standing (relatively) safely behind buildings issuing orders to troops inside we switched to the line of sight rule. Needless to say we've lost a few senior leaders in games due to this requirement since then but, at the platoon level, it felt right.

docfin

Post by docfin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:59 am

As long as said SL or JL, is vulnerable to being a casualty then it's fine. shouting over a wall telling a load of blokes to run across open ground, confidence it does not install if the leader is immune. The problem is I don't you can abstract by saying we assume there are runners etc and there being no chance of any leaders being a casualty . it is after all a skirmish game, and it may have been Rich that said where you place you men is important in another thread.