Jump Off Points

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

nheather

Jump Off Points

Post by nheather » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Not played yet, but have the rule book which I have been skimming through.

Trying to work out how many patrol markers and jump off points there should be.

The rules are quite vague, just saying that it is determined by the scenario. Had a look at the scenarios in the back and it still isn’t 100% clear, but it seems that the answer is usually THREE jump off points per side.

The reason I am puzzled is that TFL sell packs of jump-off points, but there are four in the pack, not three, not six. And in their shop they sell a ‘Complete Bits Bundle’ but that only contains four jump off points, suggesting you only need two per side.

Cheers,

Nigel

OldNick

Re: Jump Off Points

Post by OldNick » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Three or four patrol markers per side. Varies by scenario, so get 4. The size of these does not matter - within reason - and they do not have to be scenic. It helps if you can identify the centre of each one, as they are measured centre to centre. For convenience I wouldn’t go larger than 5-6 cm diameter. They do not have to be scenic, as they are taken off the table before the main turns of the game start.

Normally three jumping off points per side. These stay on the table all game. As a result they are often scenic. Make four per side in case of scenario-specific rules, or (out of game) loss. Again measurement is centre-to centre - this time usually to troops. There is an in-game disadvantage to making these too large, so I’d suggest no more than 3cm diameter.

I’m not sure where you’re getting quantities in packs from as I have always found the quantity supplied adequate.

Munin

Post by Munin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Yeah, while most scenarios call for 3 Jump-Off Points, there are a few certain scenarios that call for 4. Hence, selling them in packs of 4 so you'll always have enough regardless of which scenario you're playing.

Seret

Post by Seret » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 pm

You'll need to make four JOPs because some scenarios use a fourth, but normally you'll only use three.

You'll need six patrol markers. The Flank Attack scenario uses two groups of three.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:49 am

If you play "Big CoC" with 2 platoons a side then you will need 4 JOP's per side as each platoon will get two markers. These are a freely downloadable expansion for when players want to play 2 to 3 Platoons per side (one of which is usually Armour!).

However for the core game, as has already been said, it's 3 JOP's per side and a mix of 3/4 Patrol Markers per side depending on the scenarios. I just use the freely downloadable makers from the Lard Island Blog.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=1854

Don

Seret

Post by Seret » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Quackstheking wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:49 am
However for the core game, as has already been said, it's 3 JOP's per side and a mix of 3/4 Patrol Markers per side depending on the scenarios.
Most of the time that'll be ok, but there are exceptions.

For the Flank Attack and Attack on Objective you'll need a fourth JOP for the defender, and Flank Attack also needs six patrol markers for the attacker.

MLB

Post by MLB » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm

The key thing is that the number of patrol markers and the number of jump off points is always defined in the scenario notes and not by anything else.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Munin

Post by Munin » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:19 pm

And unless the scenario says otherwise, it's 4 Patrol Markers and 3 Jump Off Points.