Artillery Firing Overhead

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cearapeter

Artillery Firing Overhead

Post by Cearapeter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Hello Everyone

Yesterday we had another very enjoyable game from the '100 Days Booklet'. This time it was a refight for Plancenoit.

I have a question in relation to artillery firing overhead; any advice would be gratefully accepted.

The Prussians had a 6lb battery on the high ground at their base. They fired at a French line but when their own troops closed to 9" they could no longer fire at that unit. At that point they shifted fire to another French line 6" behind the original target. Now I stated at the time that that would never have happened, i.e. a battery firing at long range over their own troops and over a French line to hit another target line behind.

I felt then and still do that that was simply working to the literal rule.

Any comments.

CP

Dorsenne

Re: Artillery Firing Overhead

Post by Dorsenne » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Hello,
I think you must consider the Priority target rules for infantry and artillery, so you must fire to:
2) The nearest enemy Close Order Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery unit.
Exception: Artillery may choose to ignore nearer targets to engage
enemy batteries.

If you have friendly troops in front of your target, is a tactical error, is not possible targets other enemy troops.

Regards

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am

I agree with you that, in reality, this wouldnt take place.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:00 pm

I confess I also have some difficulty with the overhead fire rules with shot rather than shell or shrapnel. My understanding is that shot is bounced onto target so I certainly wouldn't permit the artillery to effectively fire through the original target to hit a unit beyond. I'd argue that the artillery battery probably lacked line of sight to the new target.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:06 pm

We recently introduced a house rule to prevent artillery firing through the ‘footprint’ of friendly brigades.
We did this as we were finding that both sides were leaving gaps between units just wide enough to shoot our batteries through. Key hole shooting had taken on a whole new meaning!!

We thought that this was unrealistic as the area occupied by each brigade would be full of swirling smoke, stragglers, bits of baggage, limbers, wounded, ambulances etc and therefore very improbable that artillery would fire through this.

After quite a bit of discussion, emails, tantrums we agreed to Ban any shooting though a brigade area of operation. You can still shoot from within it and we have, so far, allowed overhead fire as long as there is the required clearance but we may revisit this as well now!

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated.

CP

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 pm

N66,

Re: After quite a bit of discussion, emails, tantrums we agreed to Ban any shooting though a brigade area of operation. You can still shoot from within it and we have, so far, allowed overhead fire as long as there is the required clearance but we may revisit this as well now!

Shooting through a brigade area: I'm in general agreement with you, but when operating as a battalion or unit based game there will be times when a battery is charged by say an enemy column within its parent brigade area and thus if we impose a general ban then it can't fire! This would also generate a good number of debates I'm sure! :lol: So perhaps its better to say that a battery engaging in "pin-point" firing can only do so at close range?

Shooting overhead. Two points. First it was done - but with a far greater margin of error then we currently operate under the rules, but that leads directly to point two. Secondly, because we are restricted in playing depth, we generally cannot re-enact correctly the distances brigades, battalions and batteries deployed at. Thus we have to squash up our units to cater for this limited depth, similarly overhead fire is squashed up as well to account for this, within the rules.

DB