Question about "Ambush"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

FlexD

Question about "Ambush"

Post by FlexD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Player A uses chain of command dice to execute an Ambush(2 man Team)
Player B has a section on overwatch.
After Player A performs his ambush, Player B fires his overwatch, killing 1, and adding 2 shock'

Here's the question:
Is player A allowed to remove the ambush team since the overwatch killed 1, and added 2 schock, causing the Ambush team to be pinned. In our game we decided to allow player A to remove his team performing the ambush.

DougM

Re: Question about "Ambush"

Post by DougM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:33 pm

I would play that you could remove the team.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:52 pm

No, I'd say that being Pinned means that they cannot now withdraw. They are stuck and vulnerable to further enemy attacks. Seems an appropriate penalty for trying to undertake an ambush in an area which the enemy has covered by an overwatching team.

John

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:01 pm

If it's a 2-man team and you killed one and added two Shock, that team isn't Pinned, it's Broken.

But in either case, I would think Pinned or Broken would take precedence over being able to be removed from the table. After all, if you removed the Pinned team and redeployed them later, would they deploy Pinned? Also, getting picked up from the table implies movement, and Pinned/Broken teams cannot move - another vote for leaving them where they are.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

Agree with Munin the team is in fact broken and therefore needs to stay on the table and fall back. If not rallied by turns end it will suffer the normal fate. If you choose to remove it you are removing a broken unit and therefore I will say it needs to suffer its fate in the same manner as turns end.

Emilio

Post by Emilio » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:13 pm

But, if the team is broken, it must retire 6+2D6 inches directly away from the enemy which cused them to break. So, their path for retiring is not the same that they came onto the table? From ambush?

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:31 pm

I can't see the problem: the unit has broken in the normal way and the conditions of the ambush have been over-ridden. Normally you would hope to fade in, shoot and fade out, but in this case the enemy were watching the ambush point. The ambushers (or at least the player) would have known this and took the risk of suffering the return fire.

Peter