US 'Marching Fire!' ability

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

zanoni

US 'Marching Fire!' ability

Post by zanoni » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am

Hi all,

My American platoon is almost ready for action and I've been reading up on their abilities. One thing I'm not sure about is what you can do with the 'Marching Fire!' ability.

It is clear that you can do the following:
1) Move 1D6 and fire at full effect
2) Move 2D6 and fire with half dice

However, it also mentions "keep the Krauts down" so can you also if you choose:
3) Move 1D6 and put down covering fire
4) Move 2D6 and put down covering fire

3) seems sensible, 4) less so

Finally is it possible to fire with half dice, move 1D6 and go tactical? I suspect not is the answer to that.

It's certainly an interesting ability and one of the things I really like about CoC is how the different armies operate in their own way without, so far at least, seeming too unbalanced.

Cheers,

Zanoni

Truscott Trotter

Re: US 'Marching Fire!' ability

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 am

I would say yes to 3 and 4
No to going tactical.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

I do like the covering fire idea, I hadn't even considered it.

I agree with TT a No to Tactical

Here is another question though, could you cross an minor or medium obstacle rolling 2d6 and discarding the lowest or highest and still fire at half effect?

Munin

Post by Munin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:03 pm

For covering fire, how about: move 1D6 and put down covering fire across a 9" frontage, or move 2D6 and put down covering fire across a 4" frontage?

siggian

Post by siggian » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Munin, that was my thought too. I'd be more specific in that the whole squad needs to do that to achieve those inches. I would not allow the BAR team to move 2D6 and put down cover fire.

To prevent abuse, I would not allow speculation cover fire to be combined with marching fire. That is, you must specify terrain that currently has enemy troops in it. The abuse comes when you just have US squads just advance and put down speculation fire because it is free to do so. This just consumes time with designating cover fire zones. I do allow US squads to put down speculative cover fire if they remain still, just like any other nation.

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 pm

zanoni wrote:
However, it also mentions "keep the Krauts down" so can you also if you choose:
3) Move 1D6 and put down covering fire
4) Move 2D6 and put down covering fire

3) seems sensible,
I have also asked questions in regards to Marching fire and Richard answered with the following ,
Re: Marching Fire
Post by Richard » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:36 am
Okay. This is, I guess, an example of where using an historical quote in the text of rules doesn't help. My intention was to reflect the enhanced ability to move and fire when using a semi-automatic weapon as opposed to a bolt action one and to also reflect the doctrine attached to that.
So only use "Marhcing fire" as move either 1D6 or 2D6 and fire, "Covering fire" is done by stationary troops as per rules.
you can follow the link here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11617&sid=bfa6ce44 ... 2fe9639fb2

cheers John

zanoni

Post by zanoni » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, most appreciated. My Americans should be seeing their first action tomorrow!

Zanoni

Munin

Post by Munin » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Good luck!