Minefield deployment

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gsymko

Minefield deployment

Post by gsymko » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm sorry, but more clarification is needed on Minefields and barbwire.

So these supports can be place anywhere? Even on an enemy JOP or enemy road edge or even in a house? It seems that the patrol phase should be able to spot minefields and if the minefields or barbed wire was at the enemy road edge or JOP, that they could be cleared before the 1st phase.

Since JOP are supposed to be safe.

Seret

Re: Minefield deployment

Post by Seret » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, anywhere. Barbed wire inside a house would be a bit unusual though.

Remember though that these are marked minefields, so there's not a whole lot of point putting them over an entry road. If the road is mined or otherwise unusable they'll just be able to use any other road, or if there are no roads vehicles can come on anywhere along the table edge.

Also don't forget that "an obstacle not covered by fire is no obstacle at all". Placing obstacles way over on the enemy's side of the table doesn't necessarily do you much good, as it makes them easy to bypass or breach.

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:46 pm

I agree with Seret. You can choose to place an obstacle (mine/wire) deep in the enemy zone, but for what gain?

From a storyteller's standpoint (which I like to believe infuses the Island) I treat such placements as things the opposing force has discovered in the patrol phase and subsequently dismissed as 'don't walk here'.

For unique, GM-driven games I've been willing to have such obstacles remain hidden - but suitable houserules regarding their discovery/employment has made them less than the super weapons imagined by the employers - a gamble, like other things, but not so sure a bet as to make them an easy wager.
Last edited by donglewwe on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 pm

It seems totally fair and reasonable to place minefields, wire, and road blocks before the patrol phase.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

OldNick wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 pm
It seems totally fair and reasonable to place minefields, wire, and road blocks before the patrol phase.
If that is how you and your opponent want to play it then fine, but I would suggest that it is the patrol phase which has identified where they are, so placing them afterwards makes more sense to me. You could place them before placing your JOPs if you prefer, but that's not what the rules say.

Placing a minefield on a enemy JOP is a waste. It prevents you capturing the JOP but your opponent can still deploy from it since the minefield is considerably smaller than the deployment zone for regular troops. It would take at least 3 carefully placed minefields to effectively close down a JOP and you are only allowed 2.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Placing a minefield on a enemy JOP is a waste. It prevents you capturing the JOP but your opponent can still deploy from it since the minefield is considerably smaller than the deployment zone for regular troops. It would take at least 3 carefully placed minefields to effectively close down a JOP and you are only allowed 2.

Agreed
I figured Rich contemplated a rule banning minefields from being deployed around a JOP as it made no sense - but then decided to turn it into an initiative test for the players. :lol:

P1: "Ha you can't deploy there I've placed a minefield!"
P2 " Yes I can, see"
"P1: " Damn, OK well I can move here and capture the JOP then!"
P2: " nooooo you cannot enter your own minefield"
P1: "DOH" (thumps forehead forgetting he still had his full coffee cup in that hand)

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:47 am

OldNick wrote:
That would render obstacles almost entirely useless, as you'd pretty much always be able to work around them. I think the current rules are fine.

naash

Post by naash » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:16 pm

Archdukek wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm
OldNick wrote:
If that is how you and your opponent want to play it then fine, but I would suggest that it is the patrol phase which has identified where they are, so placing them afterwards makes more sense to me. You could place them before placing your JOPs if you prefer, but that's not what the rules say.

John
On the other hand, patrol phase is happening just before the fight.
It’s too late to set up mines or obstacles.

You usually use mines and obstacles like barbed wires or AT obstacles prior to the enemy arrival, in order to deny him areas or to drive him in a specific area (usually, in your kill box).
So it would be logical to place them before the patrol phase.

gsymko

Post by gsymko » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Very awesome responses

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm

The minefields. barbed wire, etc. are already there it is the patrol phase that finds them so they have to be put out AFTER the patrol phase. Dick Bryant