6mm Basing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Simmerson

Re: 6mm Basing

Post by Simmerson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:45 pm

I dont have any Adler figures so dont really know base size.

Each baccus strip of infantry is 20mm long for four men and comfortable be two ranks deep on a 20mm by 20mm. In essence if wanting to do 40mm x 20mm it would take 4 strips of infantry amounting to 24 men per base.

The difficulty is having a base system that can do line, square, march or attack column. In addition to this having bases too small is very fiddly. Unless using a movement tray that I am a big fan for doing.

Perhaps to fit 40 men exactly in a unit is ten men per base (two rows of five) 4 x 25mm by 20mm bases. Four bases of infantry allows all formation changes.

zabarr

Post by zabarr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Since you have to base individually with Adler anyways you'll have a bit more flexibility. Personally I'm a fan of the Baccus style, but I was surprised to find that the strip sizes aren't all uniform. As of last year, all newly sculpted Baccus is 20mm, but for previously sculpted models, specifically my British Napoleonics, it can vary. In this case, my British are actually on 18mm strips. So for 40mm basing in my case, or even 20mm basing, this leaves gaps. The solution, while a bit fiddly, actually ends up looking great. With a bit of handy clipper work, I've crammed 18 models to a 40mm base, in two ranks of 9.

IMO, aesthetically, 40mm x 20mm bases give me the best looking lines, columns, and are less fiddly. The only formation that doesn't look quite as good is the square.

Also, I tried to add some pictures, but it tells me the board attachment quota has been reached.

Beef Wellington

Post by Beef Wellington » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:04 pm

I think I’m going to wait till I get the figures then experiment with the sizes by mocking up bases with blu tax.
I was going to use the Adler supplied amount of figures per battalion but I’m worried that will look too sparse base wise and given the amount of bases I’d look to being able to form square (4-5) they could end up being really small.
I may have to double the figure quota so there are more like 80 per battalion rather than 40.
My first foray into wargaming over 25 years ago was Epic by Games Workshop which was also 6mm size. Thinking back to how big those figures were I think having more per base is the best to go.

zabarr

Post by zabarr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 pm

100% agree. There's no point doing 6mm and going light on the infantry. The more the merrier!

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:52 pm

My Adler are based on 2 bases of 40 X 20 and 2 bases if 20 X 20 and are 3 ranks deep . 56. figures to a battalion. Large battalions are 2 bases 50 X 20 and two based of 25 X 25. Again 54 figures, I just represent bigger battalions with bigger bases . Cav sqd is 6 figures on 50 X 20 .

It looks mass, looks Napoleonic and takes no time to base them up