Rules question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica, Nellkyn

stick1975

Rules question

Post by stick1975 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:51 pm

I played my first game of CDS today. I was very happy with the feel of the game but out game broke down because I think we were playing a rule wrong.

To paraphrase: You divide fire between units that are 2" or closer. So casualties are split between them. What about shock?

In our game we assigned all of the shock to all of the units and in no time whatsoever no one could do much of anything.

Does:

A. The shock only goes on the targeted unit but the casualties are shared.
B. The shock is also shared as evenly as possible between the units
C. The units all take the whole amount of shock. (I doubt this as it broke our game)
D. Some other combination not mentioned above.

I posted this same question in the CDS facebook group but I don't know that anyone there actually plays this game they just want to. Hoping I can find a veteran here to answer my question.

Also I understand the TFL systems are similar in most of their games but this is the only TFL game I have so have nothing else to reference.

Thanks
Paul

JimLeCat

Re: Rules question

Post by JimLeCat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lard! ;^D

Yes, you are playing it wrong, but this one is a common mistake among new players.

The right answer is 'none of the above' - what you actually do is divide the hits *before* you roll for effect, then each unit suffers the rolled effect of the hits allocated to it.

Thus, if you say roll 6 hits and split them between two units, each unit has 3 rolls for effect against it, so one of them might have, say, 2 casualties but no shock and the other 2 shock but no casualties.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

stick1975

Post by stick1975 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Ok that clears up alot thank you.

How do you decide who gets pinned or supressed? Is that the target unit only?

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Since both units are under the same fire, I would apply Pinned or Suppressed to both of them.