Massed Columns

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Polish Lancer

Massed Columns

Post by Polish Lancer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:18 am

Have trolled the forums and found 1 reference to this, but for the life of me I cannot see it in the rules. So when firing at a massed column formation are the casualties spread across the group?

If so are they only spread across that group when they are charging or even at range?

bellebsc

Re: Massed Columns

Post by bellebsc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:25 am

Funny how we can't find things we know are there. 😁

Firing at mass columns then you pick one of the columns as the main target there for let's say you have 3 inf columns and you inflict 5 hits, 3 hits would go on the target column as they get the majority of hits and then one hit each on the other two columns.

This is for ALL firing on mass columns in the charge phase and firing phase

R

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:58 am

It's possible that you couldn't find it because the rule is not restricted to Massed columns but applies in other situations too.

See paragraph 5a on page 44 "Defender Fires", which describes how defensive fire is distributed between lead and support units in a charge.
While the paragraph on "Multiple Targets" on page 74 applies to charges and other situations.

What Massed Columns suffer from is the additional 2 Casualty Dice rolled when they are fired on. See para 3a on page 60 under Massed Infantry Column Formations.

Hope that clarifies things.

John

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 am

Follow up question my friends!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 am

On holiday and don't have the rules with me, but I'd be inclined to keep things simple and let each Prussian unit fire at their closest target and ignore the overlap with the 6 pdr battery since there is a clear line of sight from all of Prussian battalion Alpha to French column 1.

Also French Column 3 isn't Massed since its in echelon to Column 1 and only Prussian battalion Bravo has any claim to firing at a Massed Column target since only it could potentially hit more than 1 French column which would qualify as Massed.

As I say I think I would not split any Prussian unit fire in this case but let each concentrate on its most immediate threat.

John