Old Books and new edition

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MondayKnight

Old Books and new edition

Post by MondayKnight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:18 pm

I recently bought the rules, looking for a replacement for some older rules that I have found to become disappointing. A friend gave me a copy of Blitzkrieg, how accurate are the army lists in this supplement? If they are compatible, how do I go about getting the other general supplements with army lists? Or do I have to but the individual campaigns?

Oh, very much a noob to IABSM, but I am looking forward to playing in the future

-Will

Archdukek

Re: Old Books and new edition

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi Will,
Welcome to IABSM. I hope it gives you the kind of game you are looking for.

Sounds like your friend has given you a copy of the original Blitzkreig supplement which was written for version 2 of the rules. You could still use it by converting the lists in it to version 3 using the guidance you will find on a post on TFL's Lard Island News blog here:

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=668

However, if the Early War is of interest, I would strongly recommend that you purchase the new series of Early War Handbooks written by Robert Avery entitled "Blitzkreig in the West" from the TFL site. These provide excellent information on the campaign leading up to the Fall of France with extensive lists for each of the main participants which supercede those in the Blitzkreig book you have. You will find a link to the various Handbooks here:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product-cat ... -shot-mum/

For the Later War the Battle for Liberation supplement covers the Western theatre while Vpered na Berlin supplement deals with the Eastern Front. Either will provide you with all the lists you need to game on those fronts in this period. You will find them on the TFL site using the link above.

The Campaign books are also excellent buys if you want to play a series of linked games covering those campaigns.

John

MondayKnight

Post by MondayKnight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

I bought the Polish Book 1...... WOW, that is a biggie! I like it. My group has a love of Early Russia (Barbarossa and the like). Most of the vehicles are in the Polish book, is there anything I need to know about these supplements before building Barbarossa games using the Polish Books?

Also, anyone know if there is a plan for general army lists books or is the current plan to just keep releasing campaign books?

-Will

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

Those are questions best answered by Robert Avery (Vis Bellica) who has been the main driving force and author of much of the recently published IABSM material since Richard Clarke is understandably preoccupied researching and writing material for Chain of Command. You could try PMing Robert if he doesn't respond to this thread or ask on the IABSM Facebook Group.

Meantime you might want to check out the IABSM section of Robert's excellent Vis Lardica website which is full of AARs and other useful stuff at www.vislardica.com

John