Gilly in the Barossa

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Polish Lancer

Gilly in the Barossa

Post by Polish Lancer » Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 am

I thought I would share our Battle of Gilly from last night with the mass.
This is the initial deployment, the French has stacked their left flank, looking to cross the ford at the far end. The Prussian have left the ford relatively unguarded and form all the infantry from Gilly to their left. A swarm of Prussian skirmishers occupy the stream front on the left as the Fusiliers joined the brigade screen.

Turn 1
It was ugly! 3 Prussian and 2 French brigades all Hesitant!, The French Cav moves toward the ford and the French artillery open with a furious bombardment of Gilly.

Turn 2
French artillery is really hurting the Gilly garrison and Pirch is concern, but the French infantry is yet to advance. Through the French 1st Hussars appear ready to cross at the ford.

The French 1st hussars crossed the stream, unfortunately for the Prussian the West Prussian Dragoons had become unformed due to fire from the French Horse battery, thus leaving the Landwehr cavalry to contest the crossing alone. So they dutifully charged the Hussars and beat them back over the stream!

The French finally start to move on the Prussian left, so Pirch throws his swarm of skirmishers forward in and effort to remove the French light infantry and slow the advance.

Turn 6
Prussian landwehr was now at 6 casualties and forced to retreat from some deadly French artillery fire. The Prussian garrison in Gilly opted to withdraw as it was now on 10 hits. The French still had not advanced due to Vandamme being very hesitant. The French continue their artillery assaults from the hill.

Turn 7
With the French 4th Hussars pushing the ford crossing the West Prussian Dragoons charge, with the supporting Landwehr cavalry and the Hussars are thrown back.

Turn 8
French advance on the Prussian left. The French skirmisher have been dealt with but the formidable Line battalion advance and volley fire the skirmishers. Unfortunately a mix of moving forward into the stream failed to have any impact on the Prussian skirmishers with all 3 French Line failing to load any rounds! All 3 suffers FD results.

Outcome
The French attack was stalled with no units actually crossing the stream, and due to Vandamme's hesitation. Some of the French infantry brigades spent near half the game Hesitant and could not reroll as the massed batteries on the hill continued an Artillery Assault throughout the game.
Prussians did not really have to move about at all. Their Cavalry performed well, even the Landwehr! No Prussian brigades broke.

nikjen66

Re: Gilly in the Barossa

Post by nikjen66 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm

We’re planning to play our way through all the scenarios shortly so seeing your game has helped inspire me. Terrain looks fantastic and interesting to see such a swarm of Prussian Skirmishers and the French reliance on an artillery bombardment in a time limited game such as this.
And where were the Guard Empress Dragoons. Surely they could have forced their way across the ford against the landwher Cav??

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Lovely looking game and interesting results, but I have to ask "Where were the ADC's with their Brigade re-rolls?"
We also had some hesitancy in the French ranks originally when we tried this scenario, but using the ADCs for re-rolls greatly helped.

John

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner » Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Great looking game

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 am

Archdukek wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Lovely looking game and interesting results, but I have to ask "Where were the ADC's with their Brigade re-rolls?"
We also had some hesitancy in the French ranks originally when we tried this scenario, but using the ADCs for re-rolls greatly helped.

John
Fair question John, we discussed this in our AAR. The French rolled quite poorly throughout the game and probably averaged only 3 ADC's per turn and for practically the entire game the 12 and 6 pdr arty brigade was on continual artillery assault. Which whilst it was quite deadly, it really stopped the French from attacking with their superior numbers.

Even at the first game turn thanks to a good Prussian arty result, 1 French Bn suffer a DT and retreat off the table, which effected it brigade.

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Sun May 19, 2019 12:59 am

nikjen66 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm
We’re planning to play our way through all the scenarios shortly so seeing your game has helped inspire me. Terrain looks fantastic and interesting to see such a swarm of Prussian Skirmishers and the French reliance on an artillery bombardment in a time limited game such as this.
And where were the Guard Empress Dragoons. Surely they could have forced their way across the ford against the landwher Cav??
It was a nice swarm. I think my mate was a little surprised by the number. But having 5 stands Fusilier battalions in skirmish line is quite effective.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 am

It's always a tricky judgement call whether to stick with Artillery Assault orders which can soak up 3 ADCs to be sure you get it, or use the ADCs for Brigade taskings for the command re-rolls. In our game the French got 5 ADCs in the first turn so had the luxury of both. However, after that they focussed on using the ADC's to support their infantry brigades advancing - a wise decision given their proven ability to roll low for command tests. That kept up the pressure on both flanks of the defenders, leaving the artillery to chip away at the garrison which collapsed as the French reserve brigade rolled forward to take the village.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun May 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Very nice looking game. We played it a couple of weeks ago and got in several turns with the French being declared the victor. Oddly enough it was the Empress Dragoons who were the heros on the French side. I played the Prussians and put my 2 fusilier battalions in skirmish order. I was really amazed how effective multiple small skirmish units were. I used 2 and 3 base SK stands to maximize my CD.

You had a very nice terrain set-up, looking forward to hearing more from the book. Thanks for taking the time to write up a nice report.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sun May 19, 2019 9:20 pm

I’m assuming 15/18mm troops on a 6’ x 4’ table. Lovely stuff! Are you planning more battles from the scenario book?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Sun May 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Skirmish screens over effective? In truth they do look rather dense...