28mm Cavalry Basing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

AFPU

28mm Cavalry Basing

Post by AFPU » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi Fellow Wargamers

I am debating what depth bases to use for my Cavalry.

I am using 50mm wide bases (to align with my Infantry that are based 6 figures to a 50mm wide x 40mm deep) with 2 mounted figures. 40mm deep bases are OK for Perry's Light Dragoons but not for Front Rank galloping British Dragoons on larger horses, where 50mm is more accommodating, but, at that depth I cannot still place them one behind the other without horses heads fouling the horses tails in the front rank. To do that the bases would need to be 60mm, but that maybe feels too deep.

I am therefore keen to know what depth other people use and whether it is felt that it does not matter if the bases do not touch when the cavalry are in two ranks.

Regards
G

Archdukek

Re: 28mm Cavalry Basing

Post by Archdukek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi G,
I use 50x50mm bases for my cavalry and have been known to offset the rear bases a little either to the side or back if the horses heads foul the tails of the horses in front. So no I don't think it matters at all if the bases don't touch when the cavalry are in two ranks if the intention is clear.

If you want the second rank to be considered a separate unit then agree a suitable separation distance with your opponent so that there is no misunderstanding, say 1" or 2" perhaps.

John

AFPU

Re: 28mm Cavalry Basing

Post by AFPU » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks John,

Always good to know what fellow wargamers are using. Visually I think 50 x 50mm bases will look better, especially as the Perry cavalry are shorter nose to tail and would I feel look a little lost on 60mm deep bases.

Regards
Gary