To the Viktor Line - Campaign

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Seret

Re: To the Viktor Line - Campaign

Post by Seret » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am

Capt Fortier wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:53 am
Or am I getting that all horribly wrong?
Your numbers look bang on to me.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:28 am

Let's try this. I don't know if it conforms to German procedure but it makes sense to me. If I was commanding a company with three badly under-strength platoons, I would immediately consolidate into two full-strength platoons. There may be 'cooks and clerks' who could be posted to the front-line platoons. Ditto personnel from the signal platoons. (I'm guessing that everyone in such an elite unit would have had some training as a rifleman. The veterans would be put on the MG 38's with the other guys serving as loaders or riflemen.) 'That way I'd have 2 units with predictable military capabilities. In effect, I've combined platoons before the game begins. On the other hand, I can imagine that the leadership has suffered significant casualties. So I am dubious about any provision for a 6th command dice.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:41 am

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions to date. I've updated using much of the material provided, with the latest version available here. In summary the main changes are:
  • 2+Reserve platoons for the British and 2 under-strength platoons for the Germans
  • Experienced Regulars for British
  • 5+1 Dice for Germans
  • Settling on 9 FM for the Germans to reflect likely impact of under-strength platoons
  • Added 2 free Chain of Command dice for Germans to use
  • Have added some notes to further explain support choices, including adding off table MMGs for British, setting out what crew is available for the recce vehicles, and explaining that the German armoured vehicle is a seized and converted Italian vehicle
  • Updated and clarified some of the terrain notes and maps, particularly for Scenarios 6 and 7.
Hopefully over these coming weeks I will have some chance to play test and will report back on progress. I'd be grateful for any ongoing comments, especially from anyone who has been able to play any of the scenarios.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

swammeyjoe

Post by swammeyjoe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:01 pm

What sources did you use for picking the table terrain? Or was that creative license? I always have fun trying to match AARs to historical maps and then to current maps.

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:46 am

swammeyjoe wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:01 pm
What sources did you use for picking the table terrain? Or was that creative license? I always have fun trying to match AARs to historical maps and then to current maps.
I used the GSGS 1:50000 series Larino map and that allowed me to piece together a likely or at least plausible British route up to Larino. There aren't too many detailed accounts of the fighting here, so it was some creative license on my part too. I then used Google Earth to identify specific table sites and edited with Windows Paint 3D. Thankfully this is still a fairly rural area and so I think a little closer to what things may have looked like in 1943. I enjoy the research process, especially for old maps and images, and its amazing just how much is digitally available now.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

sackatatties

Post by sackatatties » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 am

Thumbs up on this Captain. Looks good.

DougM

Post by DougM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Agreed, as I said before teh interwebs ate my reply, approbation fae Dunfermline tae Dundee, must be good. :)