Panzergrenadier weapons.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

meangreeny

Panzergrenadier weapons.

Post by meangreeny » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi, is there a way of upgrading Panzergrenadier rifles to assault rifles? They are shown in the master arsenal table & a lot of my figures have them, is there a points cost to upgrade? Any help appreciated.

Archdukek

Re: Panzergrenadier weapons.

Post by Archdukek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi meangreeny,
As was explained in response to your previous post, Chain of Command assumes that platoons are equipped with the weapons they used historically which in the case of almost all Panzergrenadiers was the KAR 98 bolt action rifle, despite what some companies choose to model on their figures designed for other rules. The simplest solution is to just treat them as normal rifles.

Some lists allow for a sprinkling of assault rifles in certain late war German platoons at a cost of 1 Support Point for 2 assault rifles. If you want to go beyond that and use assault rifles as the core armament of your Panzergrenadiers and your opponent is content with that, then recalculating the platoon value using the CoCulator would increase its Force Rating by 1 for every 6 figures with assault rifles rather than the KAR 98 allowing your opponent to buy more support.

Alternatively field your Germans as Volksturm and use the lists for those instead.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Or just do what I do with my LW BA hangovers. ....use them as normal rifles.
In Normandy it would be reasoanble to add one or two per plt without adding to the FM.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 am

Archdukek wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Alternatively field your Germans as Volksturm and use the lists for those instead.
John probably means Volksgrenadiers here?

Most of the production of StG-44s went to the newly-organised Volksgrenadier divisions in late '44 - early '45. These used a new organisation that had whole platoons equipped almost exclusively with assault rifles.

That's not to say that there weren't StG-44s outside of Volksgrenadier units, there were, but not as many. I wouldn't worry about it too much if a few of your figures are shown with assault rifles, and do you really want the faff of having to factor in one or two guys in a squad that have a different rifle? It's not really going to affect the game much. If you really, really want to include it in your games, you should bump the force rating of your platoon up by one for every six assault rifles. So you could put a couple of rifles in each squad and that would bump a late war PzGren platoon from a +3 up to +4.