First Phase a Double Phase

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

First Phase a Double Phase

Post by Capt Fortier » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm still a newbie with CoC and am interested in other more experienced players' thoughts/strategies when they roll a double phase in the very first phase. This has happened to me in my first two games against opponents (cf. solo games) and has tended to go to my head as I leap out to try too much and end up usually exposed and regretting it ever more.

Does a double phase in your first phase change your approach?
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

john de terre neuve

Re: First Phase a Double Phase

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:03 pm

It would really depend on the actual scenario as well as if you were the attacker or defender. There is no straight answer.

In most games if I am the defender I would not deploy until I see what the attacker is doing so a double phase here would be of no value.

In a recent game (1st scenario Von Luck), I was the defender and I would have liked to have deployed first as the terrain was wide open and if I could have deployed on overwatch with another unit giving covering fire it would have been nice.

As it was I had a pregame barrage against me and the attacker got a double phase in his 2nd throw and beforeI knew it he had 3 untils down all on overwatch before I had anyone down.

So it all depends.

John

MLB

Post by MLB » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

I opened my defence in a recent Westwind scenario with three phases and chose to do nothing http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... ck-at.html

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve, but avoid a sudden rush of blood to the head, a double phase is not always as good as it seems unless it helps you execute a plan. I hate seeing one ‘wasted’ but no point gifting your enemy targets either.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:42 pm

As defender I would be robably do nothing, except hope for lots of fives rolled on the second phase.

As attacker I would look for any good deployments that I wouldn’t risk on a single phase, but which would work if I could deploy on phase 1, and move to a safe advanced position on phase 2. Then I’d hope for more 5s on phase 2 too.

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:49 pm

While it's tempting to want to go for an enemy JOP, here's something to remember: the absolute closest that your JOP can be to an enemy JOP is 24" (12" separation of patrol markers, followed by each being 6" back from the relevant marker). A regular squad can deploy up to 6" forward if you're aggressive, but you need to get to within 4" of an enemy JOP to shut it down. That leaves a difference of 14" you need to cover in your second phase. Even if you're only looking at covering open ground to get within that magic 4" distance, your odds of rolling a 14+ on 3D6 is only about 16.2%. And that's assuming you even get the roll you need to be able to activate the unit to make a sprint in the second phase.

So in making this kind of "grab the enemy JOP" approach, you're essentially taking a 1-in-6 gamble. Not good odds. It looks tempting, but generally speaking it's a bad bet. If you're going to do it at all, do yourself a favor and limit your risk of exposure by sending a scout team. Yes, losing a team is a potential BTH roll, but it's much better for you than throwing a full section out in the open and getting them pinned. In that case you're likely to also have leader casualties, leading to more (and much worse) BTH rolls.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Or send a jeep!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm

The problem with the JOP grab is you need to end the turn to capture it- pretty hard at the atart of a game.
So your opponent can simply deploy from . another JOP and shoot you off his JOP..

As defender I would play to my plan and ignore the double.

MLB

Post by MLB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 am

OldNick wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 pm
Or send a jeep!
LOL and lose a team and a support all in one go! Funny, because it is so tempting and it might, just might, come off, but odds are it just ends up with a hefty drop in your FM. I like your thinking though.....
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks all for your insights. Certainly in my last game I tried the JOP grab; I wish I'd done Munin's calculation beforehand! I ended up 7" short and, but for my equally overly-eager opponent who then deployed next phase into close combat and lost, I suspect it would have been a disaster.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny