Feedback wanted: Introductory campaign set during Battle of the Bulge

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: Feedback wanted: Introductory campaign set during Battle of the Bulge

Post by Archdukek » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi Foggy,
You need to buy the maps you want from Battlefield Historian, but they are excellent if they cover the sector you want. You can then play around with them and print out the area you want. You will still want to add detail I suspect but they would give you an idea of the predominate features.

John

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am
chris cornwell wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am
There are a set of very detailed maps in existence for the Ardennes (made in 1947) which I accessed years ago through the royal geographic society in London. We used about 10 of them for a campaign A friend of mine may still have copies of them I think they were at least 1:25000 -very detailed
If they do, is there a possibility I could get access to them? I have a fair amount of maps and aerial photos but nothing I can use (publish) in the campaign, and most of it is not good enough to build terrain sketches from. I even looked through the Close Combat 4 maps and material to see if there was something usable but it seems to be more 'inspired by' rather than 'based on'.
For an introductory campaign especially, I expect inspired by maps would work well enough. Having the right sort of terrain mix that works for balanced scenarios seems like a higher priority to me than getting exact details right for your scenarios especially where some of them are a typical engagement rather than a specific date and time. My guess is that this was the approach used for the Winter Storm campaign given the difficulty of obtaining accurate maps for Russia for WW2 period.

Chris

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:37 am

batesmotel34 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm
Foggy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am
chris cornwell wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 am
There are a set of very detailed maps in existence for the Ardennes (made in 1947) which I accessed years ago through the royal geographic society in London. We used about 10 of them for a campaign A friend of mine may still have copies of them I think they were at least 1:25000 -very detailed
If they do, is there a possibility I could get access to them? I have a fair amount of maps and aerial photos but nothing I can use (publish) in the campaign, and most of it is not good enough to build terrain sketches from. I even looked through the Close Combat 4 maps and material to see if there was something usable but it seems to be more 'inspired by' rather than 'based on'.
For an introductory campaign especially, I expect inspired by maps would work well enough. Having the right sort of terrain mix that works for balanced scenarios seems like a higher priority to me than getting exact details right for your scenarios especially where some of them are a typical engagement rather than a specific date and time. My guess is that this was the approach used for the Winter Storm campaign given the difficulty of obtaining accurate maps for Russia for WW2 period.

Chris
Oh, for sure inspired by or very loosely based on reality for now when I upgrade the intro campaign. For a PSC upgrade of this, which I fully intend to do but need more experience and playtesting first, I would want historical maps, pick out a few battlefields, and as spice add some extra/more involved night fighting rules mainly covering different types of battlefield illumination and have at least one scenario take place in darkness.

Thanks again for the input!