Menton 1940 - balancing the sides

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Counterpane

Menton 1940 - balancing the sides

Post by Counterpane » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm

At this year’s Crisis Point Wargames weekend in Sheffield, I’m planning on running a game of CoC set in the Garavan district of Menton on the Franco-Italian border.

As the organiser of the event I feel that it should be my game that’s flexible enough to take whatever number of players is “spare” after other games get their share. As such, I’m looking at how I’d handle a two-on-one game.

It’s likely that my three player game would involve a French platoon from a Bataillon Alpin de Forteresse (+1 force rating) against an Italian fucilieri platoon (-1) and a Blackshirt Manipolo (-10).

It’ll probably be an attack and defend game (scenario 3).

I’m inclined to give the French a free pre-game bombardment to represent the effect of the various ouvrages firing on the Italian forming-up places. I’d also give the French a completed Chain of Command dice at the start of the game.

After that, how much support to give each side? I’m considering assuming a reinforcement roll of eight and then ignoring the -10 contribution of the Blackshirts (effectively treating them as a 10 point reinforcement). This would give the French four points of support and the Italians ten.

Does that sound like it might be balanced?

Richard

Archdukek

Re: Menton 1940 - balancing the sides

Post by Archdukek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi Richard,
It's very difficult to balance out platoons using the normal mechanism when there are negative Force Ratings involved. Even with a -10 result and only 4 Command Dice those 3 squads of Blackshirts could still provide a lot of cannon fodder.

My only suggestion would be to calculate the value of the troops in the basic platoons using the CoCulator which I worked out to be 77 for the Regulars and 69 reduced to 46 for the Blackshirts because they are Green. Adding those together is 123 resulting in a combined Force Rating of 6 before adjusting for 4 Command Dice. I think I'd go with FR 5 giving the French 4 Support Points for the disparity.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

I am confused Richard
Are you saying the Italians 10 points of support IS the Blackshirts unit?
If so then a CoC die and 4 pts of support is probably a reasonable balance given it is much harder to attack in coC especially for beginners.

If you are saying 10 points of suppprt plus the Blackshirts then I think it is possibly too much and perhaps give the French some free entrenchments and wire?

Counterpane

Post by Counterpane » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm

You know what, TT? Reading it again, I'm not sure what I meant either!

John's analysis is interesting. With an assumed roll of 8 for the basic support dice, that would give the Italians 8 points of support and the French 9.

I think I'll still go for the completed CoC die because of the mismatch in command dice rolled and for historical reasons I do want to go with the pre-game barrage.

Now I need to do the same thing with the five platoon option. The spectacularly well-informed Nowfel Leulliot over on the France 1940 Facebook group has provided me with just enough historical justification for giving the French a platoon of FT-17s and the Italians CV3/33s. That nice man at EWM has just sold me the latter.

Richard

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi Richard,
If you follow the approach in ATSE page 22, it recommends giving the defender in scenario 3 a choice between extra defences and a full CoC dice, so I think you are well justified in giving the French that advantage.

As you say the fixed French artillery positions played havoc with the Italian buildup so a pre-game barrage is very historical.

Watch out for the Unrelable Armour rule for those French tanks. In our first game with it the French tank arrived in great style then when activated promptly rolled two '1's for movement and broke down. Much hilarity ensued.

John