Last ferry to Calais

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Truscott Trotter

Last ferry to Calais

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:11 am

I have had the bones of a PSC based on rhe battle of Calaison the to do list for a couple of years now and with the publishing of Blitzkreig I thought it time to resurrect it.

Tge writers block is not rhe OOB or the maps I have those it is rhw victory conditions.

In most PSC's there is a clear chance for either side to win even if it is just by reversing history or holding out longer than their historical counterparts ensuring reinforcements arrive or a withdrawal takes place etc.

In Calais the defender's were sacrificed against insurmountable odds for a purely short term perceived political gain.

So even if following the story of one company hiw do I factor an allied win?

Do I twist history and allow for an evacuation?

Do I just take one of the outer defence ring episodes and make it a really short 8-12 hour campaign.

Or is there a more subtle solution?

All suggestions gracefully received.

Cheers
TT

Captain Gwythyr

Re: Last ferry to Calais

Post by Captain Gwythyr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

It seems sad that an allied victory would still result in them dying to a man, so I vote for an unhistorical surprise evacuation. I've never minded abit alternate history to create a more compelling story :-].
"Science is biased towards fact!" Rachel Parris

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Surely the longer they hold out the greater the propaganda victory. So I'd do it on 'number of games'.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:03 pm

When I ran a similar Club campaign in 2017 set around the defence of Boulogne in 1940, the emphasis was on the Germans having to fight through the different scenarios in a given number of campaign turns. Failure to do so meant victory for the French. That worked fine.

The background briefing hinted that a successful defence might mean the French gained time to be evacuated, but that really wasn't the driver for the players. Buying time through delay was enough.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:50 am

Point taken chaps but the defenders of Calais were told that it may gain time for others to be evacuated not them - but the real reason was Churchill wanted the French to defend the Dunkirk perimeter for a bit longer.

Am now thinking to take a smaller perimeter action - like battle for Cassel
Only 3 days and 1 battalion plus supports

gilliessim

Post by gilliessim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 am

You could ink it to the Dunkirk withdrawals similar to the 29 Let's Go campaign - each turn they hold out certain units/numbers of personnel get onto the ships. The balance point being the historical number that were evacuated and then up or down that scale depending on whether the result is improved or not in the campaign?
Does that make sense?

siggian

Post by siggian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Well you could follow one unit and if it succeeds in gaining a great campaign victory, it manages to be evacuated after all (or gets an extend leave and then assigned to the Paris garrison for a while). A lesser victory would mean that some personnel get away and the rest get gong notices with their Red Cross packages or that they get transferred to Norway as an occupation force (not that Norway isn't nice but...).