Poe Field, Chickamauga Scenario

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Fat Wally

Poe Field, Chickamauga Scenario

Post by Fat Wally » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi all. Hope you all had a good Xmas and all....

Thursday past saw my ten year old son Jack and I play Dave Brown's Poe Field, Chickamauga scenario from the latest TFL Special. Ended up as a Union victory despite the Rebels throwing six double sixes and killing three regimental Colonels...a few pics of the action to wet your appetites for trying this out....

Federals sheltering behind hastily thrown up defences....

Jacks Rebs in the woods across Poe Field....

....Advance begins...

[IMG]http://i

1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff498/KLowth/Poe%20Field%201/IMG_4921_zpsgkcqqlgo.jpg[/IMG]

Four waves of assaults driven off with heavy losses...

Eventually two of Jack's brigades became Catawumptiously chewed up after he three two ones for his Faltering Brigade tests.

1800 casualties suffered for the Rebels with almost 700 for the Federals. Challenging scenario. Excellent fun. We're reversing the roles and trying it again next week.

Happy New Year

Kev

DCRBrown

Re: Poe Field, Chickamauga Scenario

Post by DCRBrown » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 am

K,

Let us know how you fair as the Rebels!

BTW - Beautifully pianted troops! 8-)

DB

Fat Wally

Post by Fat Wally » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Tried it again yesterday with the roles reversed.

Jack deployed King on his right.

Beatty and Croxton held the centre.

Connell deployed on the Union left.

I decided to hit rush my artillery command forward to cannister the artillery weak Union centre. Bates would assault the Union right

Wood extending his line to the right.

In support of the artillery would be Clayton's brigade with Brown refusing and fixing the Union left.

All seemed to go well initially as I fortunately had the Staff Officers to get things moving. The artillery limbered and moved to within cannister range of the Union centre.

Brown's brigade trying to occupy the attentions of the Union left fell foul of accurate effective Federal artillery. A regiment became whipped then left the table when the brigade became Hesitant the following turn. Another soon became dispersed due to massive casualties.

Clayton, in reserve on-table became released after turn 4 as per the scenario and advanced in the wake of the artillery with Wood advancing to his right.

The Union centre was blasting away at Brown's Sharpshooters who were screening his advance.

The rebels ordered two batteries of artillery to use Artillery Assault fire on the Federals. Unfortunately this resulted in the batteries taking a plethora of fatigue casualties as they exhausted themselves. The extra CD however proved very effective at causing casualties to the boys in blue.

Bates continued a steady advance, then charged upon the weakened Union right who had also managed to exhaust it's artillery with some poor scoring.

King's extreme right hand regiment had failed it's mandatory Elephant Test so Wood decided to press his advantage.

After some fantastic rolling aided by re-rolls due to supports Jack managed to force back both Bates's AND Wood's assaults. Wood's brigade failed it's Faltering test and was forced to withdraw.

The Rebel artillery was taking a steady toll of fatigue casualties but inflicting much loss in reply. One Union regiment was dispersed but a unit in reserve was moved to the front line to fill the gap.

A last attempt at Assault Fire resulted in the Artillery Faltering then becoming Chewed Up.

Clayton's advance stymied into a crawl as his brigade became increasingly hesitant, no doubt as a stream of casualties passed it on the way to the rear. Over on the Confederate right Brown's brigade was now Tuckered Out too.

With the remaining Rebel brigades passing Faltering tests but becoming Hesitant we called the game. This time round the Rebels lost 1700 casualties and the Federals 1200.

Fantastic fun with the game taking on a life of it's own. My ten year old son said that he felt like a spectator at a sporting event where you just didn't know which way it was going to go.
Last edited by Fat Wally on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Wally

Post by Fat Wally » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:35 pm

By the way, thanks DB for the compliments on the figures.

Incidentally, they're all 15mm, mostly Peter Pig with a few Blue Moon and Old Glory vignettes, owned and painted by yours truly.

JeffMc77

Post by JeffMc77 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 pm

Great looking game, looks like you guys had fun!

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Another great PC game, lovely figures and looks like you had fun.

John