Level

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

andyskinner

Level

Post by andyskinner » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 pm

I see that Level is used to determine whether a tank gets over a bridge.

Besides a general ranking of tanks, does it reflect weight as well? Or is this just a way to take down the high and mighty? :)

andy

andyskinner

Re: Level

Post by andyskinner » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Is this obvious to everyone but me?
andy

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm

I'd say it's probably a good proxy for weight, yes.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Andy,
I far as I can see it's simply a quick and easy mechanism within the rules, probably based on proposition that the increase in Level of a tank reflects improvements in armour and armament which would add weight generally. No doubt you can debate that and find day differences in the margins, but at the end of the day it avoids having to include data on different tank weight or force players to do that research. But essentially it's a proxy for weight.

At the end of the day it means that the Big Boys have to think about it when crossing smaller bridges while the little guys can take more of a risk.

John

Carlson793

Post by Carlson793 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

It's an abstraction to speed the game and reduce unnecessary stats. In general, as WWII progressed, tanks generally got heavier while the bridges were the same wood and stone they were during the interwar period. Since in the game tanks of later years tend to be higher level than earlier tanks, it makes Level a simple stat for determining which tanks can cross which type of bridges.