29th Lets Go campaign and LOS

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

gbaylis1957

29th Lets Go campaign and LOS

Post by gbaylis1957 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all.

We have had great fun playing this campaign, but are concerned that we have misunderstood the rules on hedges and LOS.

We thought that the scenario stated that all the hedges DID NOT block LOS (just gave soft cover. In other games we have said that such 'low hedges'' do block LOS (unless within 2" as we think is normal), but not as I say in this campaign.

Can you let me know how you handle LOS and hedges of the following types:-

Low - say 4ft
Medium - say 6ft
High - over 6ft

MANY Thanks

Graham

Archie Bacon

Re: 29th Lets Go campaign and LOS

Post by Archie Bacon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:26 am

Stick to the ruling on page 31 8.1 and you won't go wrong. Up against the hedges or firing from it then you can be seen. These pictures are of the hedgerows around Cardonville and St. Germain du pert, part of the 29 campaign. Seeing the actual terrain helps you decide which type of cover is which ;)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm

As Archie says, the definition in section 8.1 divides linear obstacles, including hedges, into two types, either "High" which block line of sight unless troops are adjacent to it and adopted a firing position or "Low" which don't block LOS but which do give cover. A dense hedge of reasonable height, say chest high, would be a High terrain feature in my view.

You need to agree with your opponent beforehand which kind your model terrain represents in your scenario. As a broad rule of thumb most garden hedges will be low minor obstacles, while farm hedges around fields are usually assumed to be major obstacles and high. In reality of course there is much more variety and there are plenty of examples of the opposite with spindly hedges around fields and tall, dense hedges surrounding gardens so some common sense needs to be applied.

For "29th Lets Go", the hedges are farm hedges defined on page 22 as Medium obstacles which would make them High hedges in terms of 8.1 in my view. So troops lining a hedge on one side of a field can see troops lining the hedge on the other side, but you won't be able to see beyond the far hedge.

Hope that helps.
John

gcoops

Post by gcoops » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Recently been playing 29 Let's Go. We decided behind one hedge, you get light cover, behind 2 hedges, heavy cover and beyond that unseen unless being viewed from a higher level (hill, building, etc) which would then negate one level of cover.

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hi chaps

MANY THANKS for the great advice and the lovely pictures too.

I reckon we will stick with the 2" rule from now on.

This gives a battered unit somewhere to hide, as well as allowing you to sneak up on a position, from now on.

All the very best

Graham

:D