Portuguese Ordenanças

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Portuguese Ordenanças

Post by Capt Fortier » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 pm

I am working on some campaign scenarios set during Marshal Soult's Invasion of Portugal in 1809, and am looking to use a mix of Portuguese forces, including militia and Ordenanças, with some of the latter also serving as guerrilha. None of these are represented in the core lists and I haven't found anything in the forums, so I have been thinking of the following:
  • Portuguese milícia: as per Spanish Provincial Militia + Poor Shots
  • Portuguese Ordenanças: Type = Wallahs; Weapon = Musket; Size = 12; Formation = No; First Fire = Yes; Controlled Volley = No + Hearth and Home
  • Portuguese Guerrilha: as per Spanish Guerrilla Skirmishers
The rationale for making the milícia "Poor Shots" is to align with the 1808-10 Portuguese Fuzileiro from the core lists. I thought making the Ordenanças "Wallahs" would reflect their numbers but limit their firepower, and the "Hearth and Home" characteristic would give them speed when fighting locally (local knowledge) but make them "weedy" in fisticuffs when away. The alternative is simply making them "Weedy Coves" all the time - which perhaps better reflects their general performance.

I'd be grateful for people's thoughts/feedback, and interested to know what others have done if and when fielding these troops.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Captain Reid

Re: Portuguese Ordenanças

Post by Captain Reid » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Seems logical.

Personally I wouldn't give the Milicia Poor Shots but only on the grounds that I wouldn't give it to the Fuzilerios either - I tend to prefer First Fire - no to represent poorer shooters, and especially as Poor Shots doesn't 'scale' well.

Equally, I'd probably drop First Fire - yes from the Ordenanças, and probably Hearth and Home too, replacing that with Step Out - 2 and Weedy Coves.

But your way works.
Faith! If they tried to outrun a Hielandmon, they stood but a bad chance, for Whash! went the broadsword.
- James Thompson, 78th Foot.

The Saindoux Campaign, 1757, my French and Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog.

Capt Fortier

Re: Portuguese Ordenanças

Post by Capt Fortier » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks Captain - I like those suggestions - it keeps it simpler.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny