8th Army in Italy book recommendation

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

donglewwe

8th Army in Italy book recommendation

Post by donglewwe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 am

As the title says. Looking for suggestions on general history of campaign.
Nothing too basic ("The war in 24 pages") but not just about a single battle or unit - I'll get to those after I've learned the overall picture.

Thanks in advance.

Vanth

Re: 8th Army in Italy book recommendation

Post by Vanth » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Apart from a number of personal memories, there is "The Imperial War Museum Book of the War in italy 1943-1945" by the Field Marshall Lord Carver
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Rick Atkinson's "The Day of Battle" covers the war from Sicily to the fall of Rome and has both dramatic narrative and detail, although arguably from a more American perspective. At 800 pages plus it is the opposite of "too basic"! This is part of Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy, which has a useful website: http://liberationtrilogy.com/.

I'd also second Vanth's recommendation. I think the IWM/Carver history is without equal for the British war in Italy. Its a pacy read that covers a lot of ground in surprising detail, as well as being a great guide/pointer for sources for a more detailed exploration at unit and individual level (using good-sized extracts from both unit and personal histories).
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm

If you can find a copy:
The Mediterranean and Middle East, Volume 5: The Campaign in Sicily, 1943 and the Campaign in Italy, 3rd September 1943 to 31st March 1944,
Molony, C.J.C. London: HMSO, 1973
The Mediterranean and Middle East, Volume 6, Part 1: Victory in the Mediterranean: 1st April to 4th June 1944,
Molony, C.J.C. London: HMSO, 1984
The Mediterranean and Middle East, Volume 6, Part 2: Victory in the Mediterranean: June to October 1944,
Jackson, General Sir William et al., London: HMSO, 1987
The Mediterranean and Middle East, Volume 6, Part 3: Victory in the Mediterranean: November 1944 to May 1945,
Jackson, General Sir William et al., London: HMSO, 1988

MLB

Post by MLB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:57 pm

I’d highly recommend these two for good narrative history and analysis, they cover the whole campaign but from a more British perspective.

A Hard Way to Make a War Ian Gooderson

Tug of War: The Battle for Italy, 1943–45. DOMINICK GRAHAM and SHELFORD BIDWELL.

For something that gives you a better understanding of why the Med was an important theatre, I’d also recommend this as background:

The Bitter Sea Simon Ball
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top