Spotting round

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

remgain

Spotting round

Post by remgain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi!

I'm asking for the help of CoCers that actually fired/spotted for artillery.

In the rules the forward observer has to be able to directly see the Spotting round in order to proceed with the bombardment procedure.
My question is: do walls or hedges or other linear obstacles hide the Spotting round? In other words, could I target a point that is behind, although not immediately behind, such an obstacle?

Thank you!
Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

andysyk

Re: Spotting round

Post by andysyk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:38 pm

In real life you can put artillery or mortar barrages anywhere you want to as long as you have accurate maps. Spotting rounds help the observer pinpoint the barrage. But if you suspect enemy approach routes or start points(Forming Up Points FUP or JOP in game terms) you could call down fire on them, in prepared positions you would have these marked down as Defensive Fire points pre-plotted. i.e. pre set fire plans, they require no spotting. But even if you didn't have these pre set if you suspected enemy activity, say in dead ground, you could call down fire, if you cant see your spotting round for various reasons obviously you cant adjust fire to be more effective but you could barrage an area based on a grid reference. Barrages don't have to be static you can "Zone and Sweep"- "X" the target area.
In game the rules indicate that the FO must be able to see the target.
If you wanted to do it in game terms I would say your fire would have to be centred on the initial impact, how you justify it in game terms is another matter. So many teams/sections deployed from one JOP?

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 pm

It would be a hell of a hedge that would hide the impact of an 81 or 82mm mortar round.

Having said that, putting your observer in the right spot is always a good idea. Elevated positions are favoured for observation precisely because they minimise the effect of linear obstacles. I'd say apply some common sense, but the general principle should be that the spotting round is pretty obvious and it'll take something substantial to block LOS to the impact.

Neal Smith

Post by Neal Smith » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:40 pm

When firing an "adjust fire" mission, the observer needs to see the impact or at least "evidence" of the impact (smoke above trees, etc.). Otherwise, the observer could not send back adjustments. In the case, where he can't see the round, he can cancel the mission to start over or ask for another spotting round and hope he can see that one.

Registered points, Final Protective Fires, etc. are all completely different animals.

remgain

Post by remgain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you!!

Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw