Napoleonic reading list

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

SteveAshy

Napoleonic reading list

Post by SteveAshy »

After been out of miniature gaming for some time (been playing boardgames), I’ve finally got back into it. I’ve always been a fan of the Napoleonic age, and now I’m starting doing some research I’m a bit overwhelmed with how much literature is out there. I’m reading at war with wellington by John Snow, which I’m really enjoying. So I’m looking for recommendations for further reading that I can add to my collection.
Capt Fortier

Re: Napoleonic reading list

Post by Capt Fortier »

Always worth checking out the Fondation Napoléon's summer and Christmas reading lists, which have a great selection of recent releases and links to recently digitised older works too: https://www.napoleon.org/en/history-of- ... list-2121/
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
SteveAshy

Post by SteveAshy »

I’ve downloaded quiet a few from pdf direct, mostly campaigns from osprey. I have managed to get a kindle version of prelude to Waterloo, Quatre Bras: The French Perspective, from Amazon, which is on my next to read list.
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

I can definitely recommend Thunder on the Danube - Napoleons campaign of 1809 in 3 volumes....
Ant

Post by Ant »

The book that I'd recommend above all others for getting in to Napoleonic history is 'The Napoleonic source book' by Phillip J Haythornthwaite.

By far the best introduction book of the period.
Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Oh and this one for the best insight into how actually armies fought, a masterpiece imho

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Tactics ... 0094772401
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

SteveAshy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:06 pm So I’m looking for recommendations for further reading that I can add to my collection.
As the few answers you've received so far indicate, asking people to recommend books, particularly on the Napoleonic era, is a potential minefield. There's nothing wrong with the books suggested thus far, but I suspect that you have a finite budget - and equally finite reading time - and you will be best served by being more specific.

First off, can I suggest that you sit down and think of what aspects of Napoleonic warfare you want to learn more about - eg tactics, uniforms, personalities, specific campaigns/nations/whatever - then list them in their order of importance to you and post that list on here, in easy-to-digest slices if need be? That way the answers should - hopefully (nothing is ever guaranteed with Napoleonic wargamers!) - be more focused and in tune with your actual needs.

Second, the other thing I would strongly suggest - as illustrated by the excellent suggestion from Captain Fortier - is to read as widely as possible (ie from both sides of the fence) to give you a more rounded view of how armies/commanders operated.

Third (and last!), give us some indication of which rules you are thinking of using - I assume Lardy (if so, which set - SP2, LFS, GdA?), but possibly others - so answers can be tailored to direct you to the appropriate command level.

Fourth, do not - under any circumstances - mention "bricoles".....

Hope that helps.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
SteveAshy

Post by SteveAshy »

Thank you for the excellent reply

Yes I’m finding it all a bit overwhelming with how much material there is to read, so with your first question these are what I have bought/downloaded -
* British and French infantry tactics 1792-1815
* Napoleonic uniforms volumes 1-5
* Blucher, scourge of Napoleon & Bluchers army of 1813-1815
* Several Osprey campaign books
* Two of the Osprey books on The Kings German Legion 1803-1812/1812-1816

I’ve looked on the website that Captain Fortier recommended and there are loads on there, but I don’t want to overwhelm myself with what I can take.

The rules I have just purchased are the Lardy Gda, which I’m slowly working my way through.

So you can see I’ve loads to digest, even before I lay out a table for a game.

Ste
Ant

Post by Ant »

This is precisely why I recommended the book that I did. As an introduction and overview of the nations, campaigns, weapons, tactics, armies and characters it's the best book that there is. It's only when you decide to delve deeper in to each topic that other books expand on those individual areas.
zabarr

Post by zabarr »

As mentioned above, Nosworthy is fantastic. If you can get your hands on it, Forward into Battle by Paddy Griffiths and Tactics and the Experience of Battle by Rory Muir are fantastic. Once you read those books, the rules mechanics for most Napoleonic wargames start to make a lot more sense. Great choice on picking up Gda. As far as Napoleonic rulesets go, they're the most authentic based on what I've read in those books and others. Check 'em out, you won't regret it!