Slingers movement

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

runninghorse74

Slingers movement

Post by runninghorse74 »

I'm just preparing some slinger bases and adding the characteristics to them.
In the rule book under example of typical units and late republucan roman lists massed slingers have a movement of D6+1
However in the pricipate roman, slave revolt, Numidian, Ancient Britons, and other the slingers are D6 movement only.
I see some are called massed slingers and othe just slingers but nothing is consistent.
Are the lists correct or should the slingers be one or the other.
lionheartrjc

Re: Slingers movement

Post by lionheartrjc »

In the lists it appears that slingers can either be D6+1 when they generally have a ranged attack*1 and are skirmishers or they are "massed slingers" with movement of D6 and a ranged attack*3.

I have a problem with the massed slingers. I am unaware of evidence for massed slingers in any Republican or Principate Roman armies although the sling was used. I am also unaware of evidence for massed slingers in a Numidian or an Illyrian army.
Massed slingers in a Slave Revolt, Ancient British, Pontic, Armenian, Jewish Revolt or Eastern Kingdom army is plausible. Possibly in an Ancient Spanish or Sertorian army, although probably as skirmishers. It might be a possibility for a Parthian army (where it is omitted).

I am not sure why massed slingers get a ranged attack *3 and yet skirmishers only get a ranged attack*1. Over the last 50 years there have been wargaming arguments as to whether slingers could outrange bows. Slingers with cast lead shot were probably more effective than slingers who used pebbles.

Richard