Greek War of Independence

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Greek War of Independence

Post by Capt Fortier »

Interested to know if anyone has any SP2 rosters for the Greek War of Independence (1821-29). For the Turks, I'm borrowing from some of the Napoleonic Ottoman lists of Captain Reid but haven't found anything that seems suitable for the Greeks. I've started to develop some rosters as follows, with a focus on the war in the Peloponnese and Rumelia and would welcome suggestions:

Regiment Baleste/Tarella (1821-23)
Conscripts & Volunteers. Muskets. (4 points)
Formation – No Shock. First Fire – Yes. Controlled Fire – First Only.
Crashing Volley - No. Step Out - 2. Drill - 3.
Filiki Eteria: 2 or more groups in formation fight at one level higher quality in Fisticuffs

Battalion of Philhellenes
Conscripts & Volunteers. Muskets. (5 points)
Formation - Always. First Fire – Yes. Controlled Fire – First Only.
Crashing Volley – 3. Step Out – 2. Drill – 3
The Land of honourable Death: no Bad Things Happen rolls are taken when a Philhellene leader is killed in Fisticuffs; however, if a Philhellene leader routs from the table there is an automatic Force Morale drop (-2 points for Leader I and II, -3 points for Leader III or IV).

Greek Line Infantry (from 1825)
Conscripts & Volunteers. Muskets. (4 points)
Formation – Always. First Fire – Yes. Controlled Fire – First Only.
Crashing Volley - 3. Step Out - 2. Drill - 3.
Surly

Klephts and Armatoloi
Irregular Skirmishers. Fowling Pieces. (6 points)
Formation - Never. First Fire – Yes. Controlled Fire - No.
Crashing Volley - No. Step Out - 1. Drill - No.
Tactical, Moveable deployment point, No Bayonets,
Plunderers
: -1 to all rolls to avoid looting

Greek Cavalry (from 1825)
Scouting Cavalry. Sabres. (6 points)
Formation – Always. First Fire – No. Controlled Fire – No.
Crashing Volley - No. Step Out - 2. Drill - 3.
Tally Ho!

Greek and Philhellene Artillery
Light to Medium Guns (5/6 points for light/medium guns)
Formation – Never. First Fire – Yes. Controlled Fire – First Only.
Crashing Volley - No. Step Out - No. Drill - No.
European Gunner: when led by a Philhellene officer, Controlled Fire is always available.

The Klephtic bands were often quite large and I was tempted to consider having them as Wallahs, but I have seen some of the commentary about this with other irregular warbands and I think the suggestion of keeping them as irregular skirmishers better reflects their hidden hit-and-run tactics.

Grateful for thoughts and feedback, and any examples from others who have gamed this period
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Re: Greek War of Independence

Post by oozeboss »

(Double post)
Last edited by oozeboss on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
oozeboss

Post by oozeboss »

OK, I'm hooked.

I'm just getting into this campaign (using the Silver Bayonet rules), and - it like the Serbian Uprisings of 1804 - 1813, & then 1815 - are incredibly dramatic (and frequently Pythonesque) adventures. There are some glorious figures available via Old Man's Creations & Steve Barber Models, and the characters on both sides - and they frequently changed sides - are very much larger than life.

(Examples: The First Serbian Uprising basically started by Serbs in support of the Sublime Porte, against rebel Janissaries who had taken over the then Pashalik of Belgrade (aka the Sanjak of Smederevo), only for Constantinople to take fright at their boldness & initiative & turn of them. Likewise, a sizable number of Greek leaders basically came to sticky ends at the hands of fellow Greeks, except for the very pro-Turk Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Church, Gregory V, who was publicly hanged by the Turks - on Easter Sunday, 1821 - even though he had condemned the revolution and preached obedience to the Sultan in his sermons.)
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I agree 100% oozeboss - there are some incredibly dramatic, sad, shocking, funny and romantic stories that so lend themselves to "large skirmishers" and the kinds of narratives that rules like SP2 encourage, and agree too with the beautiful figures of Old Man's Creations and Steve Barber, and some opportunities for all sorts of oddities in the mix. I think it could make for some excellent multi-player campaigns, with opportunities for conflicting objectives, shifting motivations, and treachery all round! Given all that I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more attention than it has - maybe it'll come into its own through these bicentennial years!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
oozeboss

Post by oozeboss »

Capt Fortier wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm I think it could make for some excellent multi-player campaigns, with opportunities for conflicting objectives, shifting motivations, and treachery all round! Given all that I'm surprised it hasn't garnered more attention than it has - maybe it'll come into its own through these bicentennial years!
It's worth repeating and highlighting this point, in order to emphasise it.

(Now back to painting some Albanians, and a separate force of Janissaries.)
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

We'll need to keep beating the toubeleki!
Capt Fortier