Just Getting Started and a question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

markdienekes

Just Getting Started and a question

Post by markdienekes »

Hey, I've recently been pointed to this game and it sounds really good. I was just wondering about your lord, your main character. How easy is he to be killed outright? In most campaign skirmish games I play, if the leader is removed from play, he rolls on an injury table to see if he is okay. Is he just killed outright and will no longer be in the campaign? Seems very... dark, but real I guess?! :lol:

Anyhow, I look forward to sharing progress on painting and modelling for DUX, and any game reports I manage to get in. A long way off as I've not gamed Dark Ages before, so I need all the models and scenery etc... haha, but I think this project will be worth it. Thanks for your time.

EDIT: I've just seen a post about lord's death, so I guess it is up to us in a way. Anyhow, I guess this will just be me saying hello then, heh. :D
Munin

Re: Just Getting Started and a question

Post by Munin »

Glad you've decided to give the game a try, Dux is a lot of fun!
jarhead60mm

Post by jarhead60mm »

Hi Mark,

Dux is our favorite TFL game. We've played over 70 games.

Page 48 has the rule for "Nobles in Close Combat". If a Noble is hit his Status Level is reduced by 1. When his Status Level reaches zero, he's been killed.
If it's the Lord who has been hit and his Champion is with him, he can sacrifice his Champion.

Terry
markdienekes

Post by markdienekes »

Thanks for the replies, it reads awesome.

Ah, so he can be killed quite easily then! Battle is a dangerous place, I guess, but in most campaign driven skirmish games I've played, your main dude if taken out in battle gets to roll on an injury table so it isn't game over... but then I guess this is very different to what I'm used to (Frostgrave, Stargrave, original Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Sons of Mars). It makes your choices even more important now I guess.

70 games, wow, that's a lot! I've managed about that much in Frostgrave (probably my most played game that brought me back into miniature gaming). It is your favorite TFL game, that's awesome. What is your favorite thing about it and where does it stand in all your games, outside TFL too? Also, in those 70 games, how often have your lords died and did that end the campaigns for you (say for balance if you and your opponents both had increased armies - a new guy would not have those men?)

I'm wondering if I could tailor in some sort of injury table for role-play purposes - with earning titles such as the lame, the one-eyed, etc, if he is taken out in battle (which could effect his movement, status etc...) something to think about anyhow... I've just started gluing up my first Dark Age dudes from Gripping Beast I believe (bought a 5 man sprue from ebay).
jarhead60mm

Post by jarhead60mm »

You have a choice whether your Lord or lesser Nobles are involved in the combats. The Lord has a Status rating of three, so he's not easily killed off. I never lost a Lord, but I had one Lord lose too many battles in a row, so he became an outlaw. I lost a few of the lesser Nobles who had a Status rating of 2. When you lose one you just roll up a replacement.

We like rolling up the characters, laying out the terrain, the campaign system and deciding whether to use any of the pre-battle rolls. They were some hard-fought campaigns but eventually the Saxons won. You build up your forces and gather more resources. It took 24 battles for my Saxon to finally conquer Rhegin.

There are three of us who game together regularly before Covid. We ran 6 campaigns at once. In one campaign you were a Saxon, in another you were a Romano/Brit. If you weren't playing you ran the games. Which just means drawing chips, taking care of the cards etc. We just alternated who was playing that day.

We tend to play a lot of home rules. We have played "The Sword and the Flame" quite a bit. Our most recent endeavor is FIW using our version of "The Sword and the Flame" mixed in with things we liked from other rule sets. We use 28mm Sash & Saber figures.

The Gripping Beast figures are great. All of our figures for DuX are Gripping Beast.

Terry
markdienekes

Post by markdienekes »

Thanks for the information jarhead!