TW&T for solo play

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

davidmbrits

TW&T for solo play

Post by davidmbrits »

I am a huge fan of Platoon Forward, especially the solo play aspects and I am happy with how it plays with IABSM. However, I am keen to play smaller scale actions and I was wondering if TW&T would work better than CoC, primarily because of card activation. I love CoC, but I am not convinced it is the best set for solo play.

Does anyone have any thoughts that have been tempered by actual toys on the table experience?
John Thomas8

Re: TW&T for solo play

Post by John Thomas8 »

Having played at least a dozen of both solo, TW&T is better at soloing.

YMMV.
Achtung Minen!

Post by Achtung Minen! »

Certainly, just give the opposing force an objective and play them as they would reasonably be played. You can handle dynamic or hesitant enemy commanders by just throwing those cards in the deck. Platoon Forward is excellent for coming up with random forces, as you've mentioned!
alphus99

Post by alphus99 »

This is a very late answer to a ridicilously old post, but better late than never!

I find COC gives me too much to do/decide at a solo level and it's not so much fun, however IABSM played at platoon level lets me eat the gaming elephant, one bite at a time...

Simply scale down your IABSM game one level from company to platoon level – I use Chain of Command forces and force lists, but play them with IABSM.

Thus an infantry company of three platoons becomes a platoon of three squads/sections, an armoured platoon becomes one vehicle.

Then, during play, a card which allows you to activate Infantry Platoon 1 = Infantry Squad 1; Armoured Platoon 1 = Tank 1 etc

Give it a try :)
Last edited by alphus99 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

That's more or less what TW&T does. It's tailored to fit the platoon level better, but it's the original platoon level rules, using the IABSM approach.
alphus99

Post by alphus99 »

Sure. I guess one benefit of using IABSM with Platoon Forward is you don't have to learn another set of rules :)
Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan »

I was a playtester for CoC and Rich and I have had several discussions on this topic and I think he would agree with this statement. TW&T is a better simulation of small unit combat but a good game while CoC is a good simulation of small unit tactics but a great game. CoC relies on dice more and allows you to pick your support with points which can be great fun but not as realistic.
I love TW&T and it is great for Platoon Forward. That was the game system I was using when I wrote Platoon Forward.

Hope that helps.

Joe