3", 80mm, 81mm Mortars, are they over powered?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Erik A. Pulkka

3", 80mm, 81mm Mortars, are they over powered?

Post by Erik A. Pulkka »

Hello everyone,

I have only played 2 games of CoC, so far and have never used Medium Mortars in a game. At my local game store where I play, they have the opinion that the Med Mortars can mess up a game and are over powered, they have some house rules to Nurf them.
There opinion is that it can shut down a game from progressing. Now I don't know how many games these others have played for their opinions.

My questions are:
Does anyone else find the off table Mortar is too powerful or not?

And; why or why not?

Before asking this, I have already read through the CoC FAQs, and have also search for other posts on the subject here, but didn't see many others having an issue with the rules as written.
(I did find someone doesn't pin closed toped tanks and such, but that's about it.)

I myself like to play a game many many times before I think about changing/modifying any rules as they were written by the game designer.

Also, I have just played the first scenario of the PSC of 29 Let's Go with a friend, so he wants to use whatever Nurf house rule for the Mortars for the campaign. Now, I don't want to get into a beef right off the bat over one section of the rules, but I would like to know if it's really necessary. As far as I know, my opponent has not used the Mortars before either.

Thank you

Truscott Trotter

Re: 3", 80mm, 81mm Mortars, are they over powered?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Search mortars in this forum you will find dozens of threads in this topic.
search.php?keywords=Mortar&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

Personally we developed an alternative mortar rule about 2 years ago and after extensive playtesting are happy with our latest version.

Initially we changed it to make it more realistic then we simplified it as far as we could whilst still retaining the essential characteristics.

We still wanted mortars in the game, but we wanted it to be strong but not dominating the game and we wanted some of the real life difficulties of using them that close to your own troops to be reflected in the rules.

MLB

Post by MLB »

They are powerful and for that reason I think they should be higher up the support list (6 points feels about right).

We play with rules as written but think they would benefit from some tweaking if Rich is ever inclined to write a v2 of the rules. They require a different tactical approach and will punish a novice player or clumsy tactics. Something to use with more experienced players.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

I agree with MLB. It is worth noting that in the Blitzkrieg book, mortars are 5 points, have less than half the area, and are on fixed lines of communications. My group plays them with house rules, and the Blitzkrieg cost and size.

Truscott Trotter

Sorry for me its not about game cost as much as game realisim but as always when mortars come up its 50% for play as is and 50% for some kinda change.

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

For my two cents worth; we play mortars as written with one amendment: The adjustment distance is in multiples of 12" (40m in game scale).
This is based on the fact that standard target-grid procedure is 50m adjustments as that is the minimum workable distance for adjusting medium mortars. Restricting adjustments to multiples of 12" is thus realistically based on mortar target procedure and stops players finessing mortar barrages to fit them neatly away from their own troops. Minimum target distance from own troops is actually 200m (due to frag danger area) and for Danger Close was walked back from that distance in 50m adjustments. Friendly troops were usually dug in for this to occur.

TT, I's be interested is seeing your house rule (and likely stealing it).

Cheers

Truscott Trotter

Hi Len will send over a copy ASAP.

EDIT: Have sent to your gmail Len
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik A. Pulkka

Post by Erik A. Pulkka »

Thank you everyone for your comments. And I appreciate all the references too.

Iztvan

Post by Iztvan »

What bothers me most is the lack of danger close. You can basically have a squad walk up to within 0,1" of the beaten zone. I know 2play the period, not the rules" but if I recall correctly the danger close range for mortars is like 100:s om meters, i.e. most of the game board in an average game.
Twitter @Staffan_G

Truscott Trotter

Yup one of our major issues..
We made the beaten zone have a variable componenet, (rolled each phase) +1D6" so if you get too close you risk being hit.