Just starting out questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

discok3

Just starting out questions

Post by discok3 »

Hello everyone
I am in need of clarity on light/skirmish troops and how they are fielded
I am planning to play in 15mm
Do I base flank company troops the same as line?
Can I field light troops in a battalion based similarly to line?
Do I base rifles as 3 per base skirmishers or can I field a battalion of them and base them similarly to line so 24 figures for example
It seems there are many ways to field light troops so I’m just wondering what’s the most common way of doing it
I have been looking at the Orbats for Peninsular War in the GdeB scenario book for my info up to now
Thanks
Kev

Archdukek

Re: Just starting out questions

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Kev,
Welcome to the crazy world of GdA. :)

It’s up to you how you want to base your light infantry. You can generally make any system work within the rules, but some consistency with whoever you will be playing with makes things easier.

The key thing to remember is that when deployed as skirmishers light troops will occupy a frontage up to twice that of the same troops deployed in close order. If you base your flank company troops the same as the rest of the battalion then you will need to leave a gap between the bases when you deploy the bases as part of the Brigade Skirmish screen. Same would be true if you base up your light infantry battalions or rifles similarly to the line.

I play in 28mm and most of my figures are based 2x2 on a 40mm square base. However, my flank company figures are based in pairs on a 40x20mm base. They can therefore form up as a 2x2 base with the rest of the battalion or can be deployed as two bases in a 4x1 line covering the correct frontage when part of the skirmish screen.
Apart from the command base, my light infantry battalions are also based in 2x1 pairs on a 40x20mm base so that they can form up in close order or fully deploy in skirmish formation if need be.

As my rifles do double duty in other rules, specifically Sharp Practice, they are all based singly and I never field them as a whole battalion, but you could follow the same approach as above.

So my advice would be to base your flank and light infantry companies with half the figures on a half depth base to that used by your line troops.

John

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

Hi Kev, we play GDA in 15mm at a scale of 1 to 30. So 24 figures is a standard battalion. 6 stands of 4.
Stand size: 3/4" x 1"
A French Battalion is 4 stands of 4 Fusiliers, 1 stand of 4 Grenadiers and 1 stand of 4 Voltigiers.
We do not break out the Voltigiers from our battalions for the brigade skirmish line. Our standard battalions remain at 24.
We base our Legere units the same as the line.
As John has said you could certainly break out the Voltigiers or Grenadiers from the battalion instead and it be just as appealing.

We use separate bases for the brigade skirmish line. We use oval 1 1/2" base with 2 figures but you could use 3 figures.
That is the great thing about these rules, there is great flexibility.
Although for newer players a guide line is certainly helpful.

Like John I agree it does come down to your personal preference and if other in your area also have armies where you are trying to create some consistency.

There are a couple scenario books available in PDF for GDA. 100 Days and Vitoria.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your venture into GDA it is a great set of rules.

Mark

discok3

Post by discok3 »

Thank you so much Gents
Great answers and very helpful
Mark can I ask I am planning on 24 figs but was thinking visually 4 bases of 6 as it’s the same as the fellas I’ll be playing but obviously that might look a tad spartan as a battalion??
It’s up to me I suppose and obviously it’s cheaper to pay for bases than AB figures which I have bought exclusively so far!
Sometimes the variety of basing options is too generous..haha!
I think I understand what to do about light inf/rifles and their basing so best I get on wth it
Thanks again

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

I think 4 bases of 6 will be, and look great. I think the more important factor is that others you are playing with use similar basing. The 4 bases of 6 is similar to the GDBe format which they would have 24 figure battalions mounted just like that. Although that scale is 1 to 20 it looks very nice on the table.

Mark

baxterj

Post by baxterj »

Kev, for pure LI battalions, I usually do half the battalion in formed order, then the other half in skirmish order on the same size bases but fewer figs. An example might be best.

I have just done the 71st LI for the Peninsular, so normal 10 company British battalion. As as LI battalion I want to have plenty of skirmish bases, but dont want to duplicate the whole (or even half) the battalion. So I have done thsi as follows:

3 x 8 figure formed bases (figures marching plus cmd) = 6 companies
4 x 2 figure skirmishing bases = 4 companies, each two figure base being on a four figure base, so that two of these match the 8 figure base in column.
then I have 2 x 2 skirmishing fig bases on my standard skirmishing bases.

So the total figures are 36 figures to represent a 40 figure battalion plus skirmishers. Easier to show in pictures, but I cant be bothered with photobucket anymore, but the unit is one facebook GdeA group.