Books that cover the period.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Eggbert

Books that cover the period.

Post by Eggbert »

I am new to the period and looking for recommendations for books both on general haitory of the Roman army and for guides to help painting, who wore what, shield emblems etc. Any recommendations much appriciated.

Archdukek

Re: Books that cover the period.

Post by Archdukek »

Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy would be a good start, especially his “The Complete Roman Army”
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Roman ... 0500288992

For original sources try Caesar’s “Gallic Wars“ or Tacitus’ “Agricola and Germania” bearing in mind that these are hagiographies rather than unbiased history. Still worth reading for the flavour of the period.
There are many others including the usual Ospreys. Just be aware that a lot of what’s written as apparently certain knowledge Is often based on very limited actual physical evidence.

John

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

As John says, The Complete Roman Army is a great starting point, as is The Roman Army at War by Goldsworthy which tends to annoy traditionalists very much but follows, so far as is possible with the evidence, the principles of 'tactical snippetting' to form an idea of how things actually happened in battle, which had not hitherto been done for the Romans.

For a summary of what legion was where and when then you cannot do better than Pollard's The Complete Roman Legions.

On the cavalry, Pat Southern's The Roman Cavalry has heaps of detail, and for the auxilia more generally, Blood of the Provinces by Haynes is most interesting.

I'd avoid anything written before the 90s now to be honest, except for some histories of specific campaigns. But for the general army, a lot of views popular in the 70s and 80s (and earlier) have been rather exploded.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

Greece and Rome at War by Peter Connolly
Warfare in the Classical World by John Warry
Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome by Phil Barker
Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars by Duncan Head

And I second the recommendation for The Complete Roman Army by Goldsworthy.
For primary sources, as well as the the Gallic Wars, The Civil War is also very good, and for anything a bit earlier, Polybius

Eggbert

Post by Eggbert »

Thanks All

Ordered 'The Complete Roman Army' as a starting point and will go from there.l once I have some forces painted up.

Cheers

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

For essays about weapons and combat systems, try the articles by Fernando Quesada at academia.edu (I think that ou can find them in english), like this:

https://www.academia.edu/727113/_Not_so ... ian_armies_

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Academia (and also JSTOR, etc) are good for finding recent articles. The Quesada articles on academia are excellent.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

John_savage_uk

Post by John_savage_uk »

Oh and don’t forget the wide range of historical fiction which is great for flavour and scenarios.

The Eagle series by Simon Scarrow is well known and recommend. Roman “Sharpe” springs to mind but none the worse for the comparison. And lots of double dealing, duplicitous natives and treasonous Romans on the make, ideally suited to the world of Infamy.

Pride of place has to go to the Vindolanda series by Adrian Goldsworthy. As noted above Goldsworthy knows his onions and this comes through. The series is set in and around the Vindolanda fort just South of Hadrians Wall and follows the trials and tribulations of a frontier Centurion as he struggles to impose Pax Romana in the wild border region. I can’t help thinking this loomed large in the back (or maybe front) of Rich’s mind as he penned Infamy.

Finally I have to mention Rosemary Sutcliffe’s classic “Eagle of the Ninth”. Not only a great story but the opening scenes where the rebellious tribes attack the Auxiliary Fort is classic Infamy.

John

Eggbert

Post by Eggbert »

Thanks all for the suggestions. 'The Complete Roman Army' has turned up so I shall start with that while I build and paint some troops and see where that takes me
Michael

DougM

Post by DougM »

John_savage_uk wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:36 pm
Oh and don’t forget the wide range of historical fiction which is great for flavour and scenarios.

The Eagle series by Simon Scarrow is well known and recommend. Roman “Sharpe” springs to mind but none the worse for the comparison. And lots of double dealing, duplicitous natives and treasonous Romans on the make, ideally suited to the world of Infamy.

Pride of place has to go to the Vindolanda series by Adrian Goldsworthy. As noted above Goldsworthy knows his onions and this comes through. The series is set in and around the Vindolanda fort just South of Hadrians Wall and follows the trials and tribulations of a frontier Centurion as he struggles to impose Pax Romana in the wild border region. I can’t help thinking this loomed large in the back (or maybe front) of Rich’s mind as he penned Infamy.

Finally I have to mention Rosemary Sutcliffe’s classic “Eagle of the Ninth”. Not only a great story but the opening scenes where the rebellious tribes attack the Auxiliary Fort is classic Infamy.

John
And 'Eagle of the Ninth' in the form of the BBC TV adaptation from 1977 is available on YouTube.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------