Number of Bases

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Slynx

Number of Bases

Post by Slynx »

As a person who has just bought the rules, the basing element seems to be a bit lacking in detail ..... As we are settled on using 4/6/8 bases for infantry battalion sizes, what would you recommend for cavalry regiments. Should it be 1 base per squadron, or 2 bases per squadron, this is based on some of the orders of battle where the cavalry regiments are typically made up of 3 squadrons.

Contrarius

Re: Number of Bases

Post by Contrarius »

Slynx wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 pm
As a person who has just bought the rules, the basing element seems to be a bit lacking in detail ..... As we are settled on using 4/6/8 bases for infantry battalion sizes, what would you recommend for cavalry regiments. Should it be 1 base per squadron, or 2 bases per squadron, this is based on some of the orders of battle where the cavalry regiments are typically made up of 3 squadrons.
As I understand it, there are no firm requirements as to basing. You can even field your troops on individual bases if you feel that way inclined (or want to use the figures for other rule sets such as Sharp Practice).

Having said that, two bases per squadron can be convenient as it allows you to field the unit in the deep formation known as Column of Companies for ease of manoeuvre, there being two companies per squadron (in the French system at least).

It depends a lot on the figure scale you’ve chosen. If you have, say, 12-figure standard cavalry regiments, then your three squadrons will equate to four figures each, so two figures per base. Many folk, however, prefer to base their cavalry in threes, which will mean you’re deploying them normally in two rows of two bases, which means in only two squadrons.

This may seem a cop out, but in reality commanders on campaign would commonly reduce depleted regiments from three squadrons to only two in order to maintain their frontage on the battlefield.

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

I suppose what I'm trying to get at, is the organisation on how to represent it on the table. If I went for 1 base per squadron, how would that compare to the infantry. as a standard sized battalion is 6 bases, when deployed in line vs the cavalry in line, should they be roughly equal in breadth? or would I end up with the cavalry being half the size of the infantry

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES »

hello,
I have choosen the following system :
Half squadron : 4x3 cm base with 3 cavalry (15mm scale miniatures)
Squadron = 2 bases
Michele

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

At a minimum, I think cavalry regiments should consist of four bases. This will allow you to do the standard formation changes with them. For this reason alone single squadron bases seem a little impractical.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the figure size you’re using: 6mm, 15mm, 1/72 or 28mm, and the number of men each figure represents: 1:20, 1:25, 1:33 and 1:40, which are all quite typical. What are you using?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

As for comparable frontages, the standard used in wargaming for many decades was for three horsemen to match up against four infantrymen. These days, however, it is more common to have infantry on three-man frontage bases, while cavalry are on two-man bases of roughly the same width.

Both are a bit of a cheat as in reality infantry varied formation when required, for example, when forming square, in which case they would double their density.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter a great deal if the infantry companies and squadrons don’t line up exactly as in GdA you fight the entire formation, not just the individual figures that are in actual contact.

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

We used to have Infantry Battalions of 24-30 figures (based as 6s) and cavalry at 12 with 3 figures on a base. But, then my mate Miles started deploying his cavalry as 18-24 figures (still 3 on a base). So now we use 24 Infantry as small/ 30-36 a normal/ bigger than this as large / with cavalry it’s 12 for small/ 18 for normal/24+for large- still all based as 3 figs and this looks right.

This works well for the cavalry as 12 figs equates to around 240 blokes (2squadrons), 18 to 260 (3squadrons), and 24+ as 480 ( 4 squadrons). Of course in some armies the size of the Regiments could often exceed 500, at the start of a campaign at least, and if this happens you can always breath these down into wings/Battalions/squadrons that could be small or normal size units.

Won’t work for everyone but seems to work and ensures that the cavalry take up a lot of space, because they did.

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

We use a scale at 1:30.
Standard Infantry Battalion 24 Figures.
Infantry Base size 3/4" wide x 1" Deep. 4 figures per base. 6 bases per battalion.
Standard Cavalry Regiment 12 Figures.
Cavalry Base Size 1" Wide x 1" Deep. 2 Figures per base. 6 Bases per regiment.

docfin

Post by docfin »

I have decided for my 6mm troops, 20x15 for all troops, inf 4 fig/base 6 bases/unit, cav 3fig/base 4 bases/unit. I am in possession of a 3D printer so I have printed out sabot bases for all the formations required. each sabot base cost no more than £0.07ea

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

We use a scale at 1:30.
Standard Infantry Battalion 24 Figures.
Infantry Base size 3/4" wide x 1" Deep. 4 figures per base. 6 bases per battalion.
Standard Cavalry Regiment 12 Figures.
Cavalry Base Size 1" Wide x 1" Deep. 2 Figures per base. 6 Bases per regiment.
ditto....but all my bases are 25x25mm.

Easy to scale down to small battalions/regiments (4) and large battalions/regiments (8).