Gembloux Gap campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 17 02 20)

Post by MLB »

And here's the obligatory picture:

The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

7dot62mm

Re: Gembloux Gap campaign (updated 24 02 20)

Post by 7dot62mm »

Screech! My work day comes to a complete halt until the AAR is read. My colleagues wonder why I'm just intensely staring at the screen for half an hour... Great stuff once again!!

Many thanks for all your efforts with these excellent AARs and congratulations for finishing yet another campaign. Can't wait for the next one!

Peter

Post by Peter »

A great series of AARs, with many thoughtful comments.
Thanks for all the effort, it has been appreciated.

Dog who drinks paint

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

Just brilliant! A great AAR to round of a hugely entertaining campaign. Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to produce these (plus a special cheer for the French!)

MLB

Post by MLB »

Thank you everyone, appreciate all the very positive comments. I enjoy writing these and so I'm glad to hear that you enjoy reading them. What campaign next? It looks like we'll head for Normandy and give my Americans their first blooding in 29, Let's Go!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Well I admit slthough I enjoyed the campaign the last mission did look as though Buster Keaton wrote the script.😁

I tried to counter the almighty French armour in MRTC with armour and with guns, neither worked . In the end I used flamethrowers and Stukas, this is not an option in the Gap .

So although I hoped to learn from the Germans mistakes before starting Gembloux, it still looking pretyy tough.

Strangely I am also starting 29 Lets Go at same time but I have played that one twice before so I have some ideas ...might have to email Dave 😉😊

DougM

Post by DougM »

Looking forward to seeing you tackle 29' lets go.

It's one I have looked at a lot, as my regular opponent has built a GI platoon, though IIRC he is going to need some additional supports. He's done a really nice job on the Sherman so far, so I am hoping we get to play this one through. We did try a sample of the first scenario, but it didn't go well for the 29th.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:17 am
Well I admit slthough I enjoyed the campaign the last mission did look as though Buster Keaton wrote the script.😁
Haha, appreciate the Keaton reference more than you may realise, I’ve always rated him the most highly of the silent era comedians, even as kids my brother and I would cry with laughter watching him. But yes, the antics of the Renault in the woods would make a perfect scene from one of his films, well at least until my Obergefreiter was squished beneath the tracks....
Truscott Trotter wrote:
I tried to counter the almighty French armour in MRTC with armour and with guns, neither worked . In the end I used flamethrowers and Stukas, this is not an option in the Gap .

So although I hoped to learn from the Germans mistakes before starting Gembloux, it still looking pretyy tough.
A lot seems to depend on what happens at Perbais. Ideally it takes the Germans no more than two or three attempts and they do it using the same platoon. You need the time and the reinforcement platoons, I lost all those at Perbais. With reasonable luck you should make easier work of scenarios 2 and 3. As you can see scenario 4 gets tough again, but much depends on how worn down the French platoon is and how quickly turn 2 arrives. A successful Stuka bombardment could really swing things. Once you bump the French off that map they cannot get a campaign victory and you are then playing for a draw at worst but should have a good chance of German victory, it’s just a matter of how big a victory.
Truscott Trotter wrote:
Strangely I am also starting 29 Lets Go at same time but I have played that one twice before so I have some ideas ...might have to email Dave 😉😊
Twice already? Are you running out of PSC to play? Looks like I’ll play Germans and Dave the Americans but be careful what you say or I might have to send down a few big island boys with iron bars to deal with your keyboard fingers 😉

MLB

Post by MLB »

DougM wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm
Looking forward to seeing you tackle 29' lets go.

It's one I have looked at a lot, as my regular opponent has built a GI platoon, though IIRC he is going to need some additional supports. He's done a really nice job on the Sherman so far, so I am hoping we get to play this one through. We did try a sample of the first scenario, but it didn't go well for the 29th.
Funny thing is, I never intended collecting Americans. It was only serendipity that I was at the Eureka stand at CanCon a couple of years ago looking at some of the new AB Russians and noticed a basket full of AB on sale. Nick said it was an order that was never collected and they were all half price. I looked through, saw a few British but most were American, so initially was disappointed, then it dawned on me that there were probably enough packs of Americans to make up a platoon plus supports. The rest, as they say, is history. I added some guns and tanks and they are all painted but yet to see action. So it was more a matter of which of the American PSC we chose.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

At least you got a platoon on sale most of us get a single MG team on sale and THEN buy the whole army at full price!

Twice already? Are you running out of PSC to play? Looks like I’ll play Germans and Dave the Americans but be careful what you say or I might have to send down a few big island boys with iron bars to deal with your keyboard fingers

Yes we played it once with me as Germans and my opponent got a bit of a canning, so we played it again with me as the Yanks - they have the tougher role as although they have unlimited men they have to attack some very well supported Germans
To be fair it was my opponents first PSC, he has now 3 years later come on leaps and bounds and has beaten me in PSC's as well as individual missions

Now I have another local player that like you is keen to take his Yanks for a run, as I got to play Commandos last time it is my turn to play the 'baddies' :lol: