29 Let's Go! updated?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MLB

29 Let's Go! updated?

Post by MLB »

We are thinking of playing the 29 Let's Go! PSC as our next campaign (mainly so I can give my unblooded Americans some table time). It looks like an interesting little campaign. I'm aware it was one of the very first PSCs and I know things have progressed a bit since it was published, so just wondering if anything would be changed were it to be published today.

The most notable that I can see is that a Mortar barrage is on List 4 for both German and Americans. Is that something to be reconsidered?

Any other thoughts, or suggestions? If you think it's just fine as it is, happy to hear that too. Thanks.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

MLB

Re: 29 Let's Go! updated?

Post by MLB »

Looking at a more recent PSC like Bloody Bucket I notice a few other things.

In BB the US Infantry Platoon has a BAR team as 'one man with BAR, two riflemen with M1 Garand', where as 29 Let's Go has it as BAR team as 'BAR, two crew and one rifleman with M1'.

Similarly later PSC have the German MG34/42 team as 'MG with three crew and one rifleman' where as 29 Let's Go has 'MG with two crew and two riflemen'.

Should we go with the later team structures, or stick with the way they are given in 29 Let's Go?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I have played it as written, it was OK. Am about to play it again will prob go with RAW but I dont see a problem if you want to update it. The BAR is still crap either way 😋

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

MLB wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:54 am
Looking at a more recent PSC like Bloody Bucket I notice a few other things.

In BB the US Infantry Platoon has a BAR team as 'one man with BAR, two riflemen with M1 Garand', where as 29 Let's Go has it as BAR team as 'BAR, two crew and one rifleman with M1'.

Similarly later PSC have the German MG34/42 team as 'MG with three crew and one rifleman' where as 29 Let's Go has 'MG with two crew and two riflemen'.

Should we go with the later team structures, or stick with the way they are given in 29 Let's Go?
The change to both the BAR and MG34/42 team structures in terms of number of crew reflects further thinking and analysis by Rich after the rules and the early PSCs were first published. If TFL were publishing 29 Let’s Go now then I would expect that the crew size would reflect the latest PSCs. You could use either approach, I doubt the impact of a single rifleman would make much difference.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

If you wanted to get it historically correct in 1944 it would be
1 BAR - 1 man
1 MG-42 - 2 men
1 Bren - 1 or 2 men
The old 1940-42 paper TO&E's had long gone in practice by then

MLB

Post by MLB »

OK thanks. I think we'll just stick to playing it as written, it's not like anything is broken after all. Looks like I will finally get my Americans on the table - an impulse buy at Cancon two years ago where Eurkeka were selling off a bunch of AB 20mm Americans that had been ordered and never collected. I skimmed through the box and it soon became apparent there was enough to make a platoon plus supports, all at 50% of normal price. I never planned to collect Americans but I think you all know how this story ended....

DougM

Post by DougM »

You did well, nice score. Looking forward to seeing the Campaign reports for this one, as my regular opponent has a US platoon, and we tried one scenario.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Munin

Post by Munin »

I almost picked up some 28mm late-war Germans this way, but fortunately (unfortunately) for me the seller had packed up and left by the time my event had finished.